Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another gland nut thread

ps66x4 ยท 2024-03-19 16:42

Kumatsu d41-a, blade lift and swing cylinders. Only thing I can think of that I have is a pipe wrench. 4' pipe wrench with a 9' cheater pipe and It won't move.

Replies7
  1. #1ps66x42024-03-19 16:43

    It there a spanner that would work ?

  2. #2Delmer2024-03-19 17:02

    HeavyEquipmentForums Peen the cylinder outside of the threads. I like to build a tool with a piece of pipe that will just fit over the cylinder, weld key stock to fit the notches, and a way to add leverage to apply force like a pipe socket that will fit a longer cheater pipe.

  3. #3ps66x42024-03-19 17:16

    In the first picture you can see where I did some peening. I think the steel is so thick in that area the peening with my 3lb hammer doesn't do much, I'm thinking if I should remove the cylinder and hit it with a sledge. Oh also in the first picture there is that notch on the cylinder could that be a lock for the gland nut?

  4. #4ps66x42024-03-19 17:21

    I like to have a tool like this but I dont have a good way to make it. The upper right is the tool, the left is the gland nut dimensions

  5. #5Delmer2024-03-19 20:55

    I have the pipe go over the gland, with the keys on the inside, set back so the pipe extends onto the gland, then you can use a ratchet strap to hold it tight around the base of the cylinder, and the end of the pipe sticking past the rod end with a plate or bracket for an extension, rest that end on solid blocks, much more stable and able to put some force into it.

  6. #6epirbalex2024-03-19 22:13

    Heat the ram around the gland and use your pipe wrench . Push in the rod so its well away from the heat

  7. #7ps66x42024-03-20 06:39

    Yes Delmer that does sound alot better