Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

another MULCHER thread …

rockman ยท 2017-06-15 06:45

looked through all the mulcher threads on here and cant seem to find the answer , hoping the guys that run mulchers on a daily basis might be able to help I have a new TAKEUCHI TL12V2 115hp high-flow machine . I'm looking at buying a head for it in the next few weeks and am more looking for something that can leave a better finish for the customer as opposed to be the fastest around but leaving alot of larger shreded material. I am in Australia and over here we do not have access to the Denis Cimaf head unfortunalty , we have the flecon / fae / loftness as the main drum heads or the afe in disk style. My concern is more to have customer satisfaction with a nice finish as opposed to possible larger lumps of timber left on site . Does the afe have to ability to produce more a chip style mulch or does it leave a stringy shredded material ? Is the fae the best out of what i have to chose from in the drum style ?. Cheers

Replies11
  1. #1Tones2017-06-15 07:08

    The Afe style heads don't leave a good product compaired to a drum mulcher. I have seen a horizontal disc mulcher throw a tooth across a 4 lane road in rush hour, no damage but bloody hell it could have caused some. Fecon and Loftness have far to many teeth for our conditions in Oz and cost a motza. IMHO AHWI have got it right with their tooth arrangement.

  2. #2rockman2017-06-15 07:12

    Tones , do you live in Oz as well ? Is there any other brands that you would consider looking at ?. I will check out the AHWI mulcher now . Cheers

  3. #3Tones2017-06-15 07:21

    Yep in QLD. I own and operate a AHWI for about 10 years now but have used a Loftness and the new Fecons. The AHWI will suck the door handles off the others as it goes by. And thats using the same model prime mover.I have got ASV trying to get me to try out the new Terex 120hp machine but a PT100 with my head will **** over the 110 with a fecon so I can't see the sense.

  4. #4rockman2017-06-15 07:23

    what model AHWI and what are you running it on if you dont mind me asking i'm in cairns so no fear of compition ..lol

  5. #5Tones2017-06-15 07:41

    Mate I never fear compition. I have worked from Byfeild to the NSW Vicy border and out into western QLD. The mulcher I use is a BH75, made by Fecon under licence to AHWI and using a AHWI rotor

  6. #6rockman2017-06-15 07:45

    Are you running it on a skid steer or a deciated mulching machine ? The BH75 , that is a AWHI attachment or Fecon attachment ?

  7. #7Tones2017-06-15 17:16

    PM you

  8. #8rockman2017-08-03 04:10

    Tones , have you ever tried a FAE head at all , still trying to decide which to go with ?

  9. #9rockman2017-09-04 02:49

    down to the ordering part ... my machine Takeuchi TL12V2 is approx 1950mm across the tracks my choices are either the AHWI 450H1600mm which is in the country AHWI450H1900mm which is 2-3 months away on a boat or go the FAE which are in stock at the moment , either the 150vt or the 175vt people are saying that should go the smaller of the ahwi as the larger one is to much to push around the tree's any opinions at all from operators ? Cheers Jim

  10. #10mx7272017-12-02 06:39

    What did you decide? I would've gone with the 450/1900 in your case.

  11. #11rockman2017-12-02 06:43

    ended up getting a fae 175vt head .... awhi and fecon didnt have any in the country till now , fae was in stock , better priced and i had the job over and done with before the others could supply