I have a 2000 226 cat skid steer---has 3000 hours on it----out of the blue the engine oil light came on --and it no longer turnd over---took to cat dealer--they said the oil pump cracked ---is there any bulletins from cat on this issue ---the machine has a perkins 3034 engine---my dealer said he will have it running in aweek for $9000.00--with a 6 months warranty--trying to get Cat to help with cost--does anyone have advise for me
There is plenty written about these issues. A friend of mine had his let go at 300 hours. I would be surprised if CAT does anything for you. Although these engines are garbage, you got 3K out of yours, I doubt CAT will feel obligated to help you out unless perhaps you are a substantial CAT customer. Another consideration I would ponder would be if its worth fixing. Your machine is 13 model years old with 3K hours. Your value is about what the cost of the engine replacement is. Putting 9K into a 9K machine would not seem to make a lot of sense. Sell it as is, get 5K for it or so, take the 9K you would have spent on the replacement engine and find something else.
Your machine is almost 13 years old. It sucks that the engine failed, but I wouldn't expect CAT to help you, and in all honesty, I wouldn't expect any OEM to help on a 13 year old skid steer. You'd be better off trying to trade it for a newer machine. Good luck.
There was a thread here not long ago about the same topic. I understand Cat bought Perkins some time ago and admitted to a problem with that particular motor. I'll see if I can't find it.
Next page over by Steve. May not be excact but worth the read. Titled also Another Perkins Pukes
gpautzke, the same thing happened to my 248. Oil light and beeper came on and before I could get the machine off the road it siezed. After taking it apart I discovered the oil pump housing cover split apart. There are pics in my thread of the damage. I'm trying to get Caterpillar to at least help out with the repairs, the machine has just 1300 hours on it!