Bomag BW211PD-40 S#901583251856 1738 hours. What a mess this thing is.
Above is the charge pressure filter and canister housing. Charge pressure is supposed to be 400 PSI, which it has until I stroke the pump to drive the motors......then it drops to 75 PSI. The system is fully contaminated and pretty much everything is going to have to be torn down for repair and cleaning. Im waiting on Bomag to contact me, doubtful there will be any assistance. How do I end up with this crap?
As you already KNOW.. contamination is not covered.. UNLESS you can prove it was left IN THE SYSTEM at the time of build.. I had a deutz that had small black plastic shards in the fuel tank.. so much.. it clogged the outlet of the tank. It was from the fuel tank install at the factory.. someone forgot to clean the tank after it was drilled..
Contamination from the failure of components native to the machine is covered under all warranties I've dealt with in the last forty years. You do have to be sure and check the terms of the warranty to make sure you are within the time frames.
Well, I heard today that the machine was severely stuck a couple of weeks ago. I was told they pushed it out with a dozer. I suspect the intense pressure from the pushing probably broke something in a drive motor...…..and the rest is history. I cant start on this machine for at least another week but I will update with photos when I get started.
This project got delayed by the customer right after I posted this...……...until now. Progress reports coming soon.
Vetech, We need that done by next Monday is that going to be a problem? Just kidding, I can only hope your real customer understands the extent of this project. Even after cleaning everything it's going to be touch and go for sometime those little bits can find all kinds of places to hide. Good luck! ken
Don’t you know ,to the boss ,every thing takes 5 minutes.
First thing out of their mouth," can't you just?" I cringe whenever I hear that.
The answer is, "I can. Pay first and don't call me next week."
Got delayed again. Another 2 pieces of equipment are prioritized over this roller. Ill get back on this in a couple more weeks.
View attachment 184824
Its a mess but repairable if I can get the parts. You can thank Junkyard for the pics.
And the filter only catches a fraction, right. That's Hydrostatic? So the rest of the grenade returned to the pump to wreak more havoc?
I cant prove the main pump is bad due to the fact that it holds steady charge pressure at 400 PSI. The case drain hose on this motor had several pieces stuck in the elbow that wouldnt pass through the hose ID so theres that. The reaf diff pump has no signs of contaminants that I have found as of yet. the front drum pump has definitely had small, fine material run through the pump, that I feel certain about.
Dam, I forgot the pic of the cam ring.
That thing is "toast".. {in my opinion}
New motor is 12K.
Let the hunt begin. Lol
Well, its obvious that Bomag doesn't want these rebuildable. Ive priced a 1/3 of the parts and the cost is already at 13k to rebuild this motor. A new motor is 3-4 weeks out. I did find a source for the same parts ALOT cheaper and they are OEM. I'll post this company's info when I get the rest of this priced out. You wont believe how much different the cost is.
Charge pump flow typically goes as follows : suction to charge pump, charge pump to filter. filter to loop. So the metal in the filter came from the tank. IMO course of action would to repair or replace motor, disassemble inspect and repair drive and charge pump as necessary, replace case drain lines, inspect and clean all related case drain fittings, clean tank and tank filter housing or filter head. Replace propel hoses. Not getting it all can result in repeat failure and in a hurry to boot.
Getting all the contamination out of this hydraulic system will be impossible without replacement of the entire system (or disassembly and cleaning). Its unlikely with this customer to go to that kind of expense much less the downtime. This is the main reason I try to stay away from these failures. I'll do what the customer wants to do, but with NO WARRANTY. I'm betting, besides rebuilding the motor and cleaning a few hoses, nothing else will happen. It more than likely will fail again but its their money. I will recommend (providing Im right about the repair) getting rid of the machine.
After hearing all that , the course of action IMO would be run don't walk away.
At this point the machine is little more than scrap metal. The due diligence you might accomplish for your customer is spend a little time on the computer looking for a replacement and potential replacement costs. Lay out maybe a couple of lesser repairs with less tear down and cleaning accomplished with the same proviso you have just given. "No Warranties Express or Implied." You might in one instance find a used motor, change oil and filters and just give it a go for X dollars and the lesser expense range or do a new motor with a complete tear down and clean out at the top repair range. What are the chances of the machine failing again soon after each type of repair? Your customer can then weigh that against the potential cost of finding another unit. Lay all that on the table and you will impress them to no end and likely have them making your house payments for the foreseeable future.
Pretty much in line with my plan here.
After what was supposed to be 1 week getting the parts for this, I finally got them today. Will update as I progress!
Motor is going in today, system flush as best I can tomorrow. We'll see how it turns out. Hopefully back to work with no issues.
Well, she's back together! Everything looks good, steady charge pressure, no leaks. Only time will tell...……….and got it all done for 2/3's the cost of a replacement motor alone. Customer is a happy camper at the moment.
Any info about this source you have? You said you got OEM parts for much less than originally quoted by dealer. Inquiring minds (cheap bast@rds) want to know.
www.flinthyd.com 901-794-4884 Duane Bingel. They have fixed me up several times with replacement OEM drive motors for 1/3 less than the manufacturers cost. The parts I needed for this bomag motor were priced at the dealer for a bit over 13K......that's just the parts, the entire motor complete was 12K......if they could get it. These guys fixed me up with the exact same OEM parts for 5K. If anyone needs any drive motors or parts....well worth contacting these guys first!
Awesome, and thanks. Always looking for a vendor who's not gouging and offers a good product. Thanks for sharing.
Good job Vetech! I feel your pain. I am going through same thing with a JD mini exc that granaded a hyd pump. That info about Flint Hyd's will come in handy. Thanks for that info.
Still going strong!
I rest easier everyday it runs whether anybody knows I had a hand in it or not!!
I'll try to save you one that will keep you up at night. LOL
Gee thanks! Haha. I’ve dug into a few things on the rigs that had me on pins and needles for a bit!