Ok, so I am going to be doing some work that will be made much easier by adding a thumb to my backhoe... I know that Amulet is the prefered unit, but I really dont have the coin to put into that model... So I have some questions... How thick is the steel of tines on the thumb its self How thick is the steel of the mounting plate How many tines do you have 2, 4, ect would you do more... would you do less? Any other input you mite have... I found this one on ebay, and am kinda liking what I am seeing... http://cgi.ebay.com/12-x35-Mechanical-Thumb-for-Mini-Excavator-Backhoe-USA_W0QQitemZ390108324599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkid_Steel_Loaders?hash=item5ad444a2f7 Input? Discussion? THANKS!
I think that you need to provide more information before you can get good responses to your post. The following questions come to mind: 1. What are you mounting it on? 2. Do you want a live or static thumb (the one in the link is static)? 3. Carrier set up: Coupler? Extendahoe? Hydraulics? 4. Application (primary task or tasks)? I can answer one of your questions. The amount of tines depends on the size of the bucket, and how many teeth the bucket has. Preferably the thumb needs to have one tine between each tooth.
Gaaa I'm usually so good about that kind of stuff! Ok... It's Going on a Case 580k Series 1 At this point due to price, I am planing on going with a static/fixed/mechanical thumb Carrier... I know it has a case quick coupler... extendahoe yes... Hydraulics does not apply to the a mech thumb Application... Well the job at hand is cleaning a foundation to a house that burnt down, I know I have a project that I also want to do that will involve moving some rock, rip rap type stuff, with it I'm sure it will also be used for picking up logs and alike as well. If you want more info, ask away
You will need a clamp on thumb as you can not weld on the Case ductile = steel boom. U S A attachments makes one and they are excellent people to do business with.
The Welding on ductile steal thing is a common miscomception. You can, it just requires patients and the right equipment from what I am told. I know my local Case Dealer welds on their thumbs, and I have a few buddies that have done it with success. FWIW I will not be the one welding it on.
Hope they'll paint that one black for you. I don't think that yellow is going to look too swift on your Case..!
LOL, I was figureing I could paint it power tan when it was all said and done.
The welding issue is mute for his machine. The BOOM is ductile but not the DIPPER (which is where the thumb mounts). I think you will get the best info by talking to those who sell thumbs (dealer, MFRs, etc). Try to perform a visual inspection of a few different thumbs so you can see a few different ways that they are built. It would be best if you could look at thumbs that are already in use in your area. See what the owners think about them. Use this info to either buy a like unit (as someone you talked to that has had good results) or use it for comparison to the unit you are considering. I don't have a thumb on my TLB but I do have one on both my excavators. The thumb on my mini has 1" thick steel on the sides/tines. It only has the two tines and they are connected with a 4" torque tube. Very stout set up for a mini (12,000# Bobcat 435ZHS). This unit appears to be stronger than those that CAT sells, even for their backhoes. I'm not sure where you are hearing that the Amulet is the best. Are you talking to someone who has one and likes it? I have seen them on other TLBs (though I did not pay much attention to how they were built or holding up). The ones that I have seen actually give you some motion via the bucket linkage (where they are connected) which you may prefer. I can't imagine that they would be anywhere near the cost of a live thumb (that inlcudes hydraulics). You commented that they (Amulet) are to expensive. How much are you willing to pay? Be aware that the amount you spend is directly related to how well it will hold up. There is not a huge amount of technology in a static thumb. You are mostly paying for steel and labor. Skimping on either of those will only lead to reliability problems. Make sure that the tines will not contact the tips of the bucket teeth. They should fit between the teeth. It will still work (if they touch at the tips of the teeth) but just not as well. If you have multiple buckets you will have to decide which one will be best suited for you thumb application and get a thumb that works best with this bucket. Possible bucket variations, that can effect the thumb, are: width; tooth spacing; rotation (not so much for a static thumb); length. Good Luck.
DG I apreciate your input. I keep meaning to stop and look at TLBs or Ex's I see around w thumbs but it always escapes my mind... until I have already passed them. I did discover what you are saying reguarding the Ductile Iron today through some research and phone calling. Aparently the ductile Iron is only on the boom and the inner part of the dipper. Not the outer sliding part... SWEET! I apreciate your input, we'll see what comes of this... i am getting conflicting input from people weather its worth putting a thumb on my TLB for this job or not... I am demoing my buddies house that burnt down last week... I dont use the machine that often but I think the thumb would be handy generaly... DG what do you think of that unit pictured in the link? They have a two tine version with the same specs but even less $ and i'm not sure if the two or four tine version would be better... at this point, my biggest concern is that the welding would ruin my dipper or using it would ruin my dipper and in turn need to fix/replace the dipper... If I trash the thumb... ehh suck, no big loss...
How close did you look at the add? It says a few things that will help you determine if it's the right fit (which I doubt it is). First off, it says that it's for a mini excavator. You have a TLB (specifically a Case 580K) which is larger and generates more force than a mini. Next is the fact that it's only 12" wide. I suspect that you are using a 24" bucket and I would be looking for a thumb that matches that. Lastly, they tell you what the tip radius requirements for this thumb are (and how to measure on your carrier). I would bet that your bucket tip radius is longer than that specified. If you are truly interested call them and see what they offer for your machine. These guys do offer to fix it if it breaks or bends, which I like to hear. The downside is that you will pay the freight to get it fixed. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. I'm a profesional excavator. I won't buy something that I can't count on to do the job and hold up well. I will spend the money it takes to obtain what I need at the quality level I think it must have. This is the working end of your machine. It will be exposed to the worst conditions and forces. More than any other part of your backhoe (on par with the bucket). This is the last place you want to go cheap. It sounds to me that you are not in the same boat as I am. It sounds to me that you are looking for something that you can use for this one job and maybe get some residual, occasional use down the road. I find it difficult to decide how to advise you. All the things that I have learned will lean towards spending the money for a quality attachment. I'm not saying that the MFR that you found makes poor quality attachments. I would call them and see what they offer for your machine (as I said before). If you do decide to let price be the major factor in your decision (ie. if you by a lesser quality unit, or a unit designed for a smaller carrier) than I would suggest that you be ready to do the repairs necessary to keep the attachment going. If you have the tools and skills to do the possible repairs than I would feel more at ease with the "just enough to get by" unit. If you do, than the only other worry is what it costs you in logistical, and downtime issues. I would not worry about welding on the dipper. My last comment is this. I could remove a foundation with a machine that did not have a thumb. It will just take longer and require a better operator. It sounds as though price is a big factor, so you need to ask yourself it this attachments' cost is going to be outweighed by the time savings.