Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another “What brand is it” thread.

RedLance ยท 2013-08-08 00:19

Greetings! I was recently given a trencher. Photo's attached. I would like to know what make/model it is and what I should be using in it for hydraulic fluid, and which oil to use in the gear box? It's got a 9hp cast iron Briggs and Stratton on it. The stinger is about 6 feet long, and raised and lowered hydraulicly. Steering is with a tiller arangement, on the 2 front wheels. There is a control to set ground speed, as well as forward and reverse. Three belts drive the stinger. It has a conveyor belt to move the dirt off to the side, instead of an auger and the belt can be put on either side. The paint color reminds me of Ditch Witch, but I really have no idea. And the chains look wet because I had just lubed them. It does run, and everything seems to work fine. I would greatly appreciate and and all help. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1RedLance2013-08-08 00:22

    A few more photos

  2. #2apetad2015-01-13 19:19

    I saw one like this restored at a ditch witch dealership, I believe what you have is one of the first "Ditch Witches" ever made

  3. #3RedLance2015-01-13 22:41

    Actually, I finally found out what it is, with my own goggle search. It's a Trench Devil made by ARPS Corp. probably in the early 60's. Even found the manual for it here: https://archive.org/details/ARPSTrenchDevilMA2smallpdf.com

  4. #4apetad2015-01-15 17:36

    Extremely cool looking tidbit of treasure you've got there! Glad to know what it is!