Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anti-Freeze Testers

Tinkerer · 2014-01-25 10:36

With a temperature forecast of -16° Fahrenheit in my area, I was wondering if I should be checking my equipment with something other that the cheap little tester I have been using that has balls in it that float. So should I be using some other kind ??

Replies8
  1. #1OFF2014-01-25 10:56

    we use a brand called "E-Z-Read" around these parts. They work about the best and they aren't expensive either. Plastic oval chamber with a floating "dial" type reader in it.

  2. #2John C.2014-01-25 11:49

    I've been using the standard six dollar tester that NAPA sells for years. Once in awhile I'll check it against the expensive light based one I have. It is usually within a few degrees. I've broken or lost plenty of the cheap ones over the years. All I usually do with the expensive one is carry it in the truck. Can't afford to replace it if dropped from the top of an excavator or left somewhere. I never really trusted the little ball type units but I do have one of them in the glove compartment of the wife's car.

  3. #3Delmer2014-01-25 13:10

    I don't see anything wrong with the floating ball antifreeze testers. If you want to feel more secure, test it in straight water and then in full strength antifreeze and make sure all of the balls are doing the right thing. I think that type is easier to use than the dial type that has to be level. Plus the balls are redundant.

  4. #4Tinkerer2014-01-25 13:15

    John; NAPA has nine different testers. Is yours like the one in the link I am posting ? It appears to be a twin to the EZ Read that OFF is using. Oval chamber and no floating balls. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...ze-Testers-Hand-Held/_/R-SER771125_0344223023

  5. #5bushcat2014-01-25 14:10

    I like to flush my cheap testers with clean water after using to prevent them from sticking and giving a false reading the next time.jmo

  6. #6eric122014-01-25 14:23

    i use the oval dial type with the big ball on top to suck the antifreeze up and i flush it afterwards like bushcat said. but i also use the litmus paper test strips that test the freezing/ boiling point, ph level, nitrate levels and put some additive in it when needed.

  7. #7John C.2014-01-25 17:17

    Yes sir, that is the one I use. I like the ones that say they will check both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. That's why the ones I use cost six dollars instead of three. I have some of those test strips I use on my own vehicles but I am usually only concerned with the freeze level other people's equipment.

  8. #8Tinkerer2014-01-27 15:29

    I just returned from NAPA with a new antifreeze tester like John C uses. My floating ball tester showed a difference of 20° from the new one. Only four balls would float in warm coolant which would be 25° below zero Fahrenheit. The new one went to -45° , that is the maximum it will show. I purchased the ball tester two years ago and took good care of it. In the garbage it will go.