First time posting.... I have a 1987 Case Super E Loader Backhoe. I am gradually having a harder time rolling back the front bucket. Dumping is no problem, but rolling back is. Almost certainly, it is an rollback linkage adjustment issue. I was almost ready to take off the linkage, since the bucket works fine without it -- but then after reading comments on this forum I realize how dangerous that might be. I have the Operators Manual, and also the Service Manual for this backhoe but no-where do I see diagrams and/or instructions on how to make the adjustment -- and it's far from obvious to me. Can anyone point me to the right manual, page, etc? Thanks
Welcome to HEF, Bob! It may be as simple as bound up linkage pivot points due to a lack of lubrication. I doubt it would be an adjustment issue. Perhaps one of the rods is bent.
Don't adjust it! find out what's binding and lubricate it. Does the bucket tilt valve spool go into the valve body the full distance when you hold the loader straight out, just high enough to clear the ground? the handle should move smooth and the spool should go the full distance. compare to the other spool to check the movement distance.
Thank you. I have seen this diagram before, and the drawing on the LEFT looks familiar but I'm not sure where are the parts that are shown on the RIGHT side of the drawing.
No, the bucket tilt valve spool does NOT go into the body full distance. That's the problem. The anti rollback linkage prevents it, it seems. I wish I knew what to lubricate. I've lubricated all the zerk fittings in the area, including the one that the anti rollback mechanism is attached to, but to no avail. I'm wondering, it ITEM 5 on the above drawing supposed to be free to rotate clockwise, counterclockwise? Mine is not free, even after lubing it. Even after removing the bolt, wiggling ITEM 5, and then tightening the bolt again. Not sure if I'm being clear
Welcome to HEF @Bob Nelms Pivot #5 is connected to pivot #14 - if either is bound up they won't rotate. You need to remove the clevis pins & figure which one is at fault - likely #14. Remove the Loader Control Valve cover & look in near the chassis + you may need to get under the machine.
Look at the cap under the valve body that's covering the bottom end of the spool, see if it's dripping oil, if that cap fills with oil it won't allow the spool to move the full distance, hydro locks instead. That's if you can't see where the linkage is binding. It should move easily the full distance with the bucket near the ground.
Have you tried lubricating the rod going into the pipe area? I have had mine bind up and it was at the rod, tipped bucket all the way forward and sprayed red tacky grease in. Problem I have is the grease attracts dirt and I have to lube it a couple times a year.actually thinking of putting a zerk on rhe pipe