Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

antifreeze for cat engine over winter?

fastline · 2019-10-29 18:26

An older dozer I bought apparently either has a leak or the coolant was drained. Temps are around freezing here and I would like to add something as a temporary to flush the system, protect metals, and be ok for starting the main engine as I do testing. Realizing the price of ethylene glycol is friggin through the roof right now, I was thinking about adding RV propylene in there for now but not sure if there are other options? I figure a decent protectant in there is probably better than nothing. Or maybe heavy truck places would have better pricing? I did not plan to go to full strength with a ratio, just something to resist mild freezing and add protection.

Replies18
  1. #1John C.2019-10-29 20:28

    All antifreeze is expensive right now. If you can find something less expensive that has freeze protection and won't drop silicates in the engine, let us know.

  2. #2Delmer2019-10-29 22:37

    RV antifreeze contains alcohol and propylene glycol. I'd use recycled/drain antifreeze before I'd use RV antifreeze in an old Cat. IF I understand correctly, silicates are fine for corrosion protection but can drop out and cause abrasive wear. Nitrites or other SCA are to prevent liner cavitation and corrosion. As a temporary winter and getting the bugs worked out, I'd reuse drained antifreeze with a half dose of SCA. at least 25% antifreeze, and half dose of SCA based on the total volume.

  3. #3Nige2019-10-30 05:11

    Or better still ........... figure out if the cooling system is actually leaking or not..? If it isn't, fill with coolant and happy days. If it is, fix it as a first step before moving on, with same result as above

  4. #4Queenslander2019-10-30 06:59

    Don’t dismiss ELC from your Cat dealer. Granted, we don’t have the supply and demand cycle for glycol that there may be in the northern hemisphere, but I just bought 100 litres of ELC cheaper than I could buy common coolant from Supercheap Auto....similar to Joe Blow’s Gas and Groceries.

  5. #5fastline2019-10-30 09:02

    Nige, it is hard to explain but basically the system needs a good flush because we think it has been stored without antifreeze for years, OR there is a severe leak. And the engine cannot really be run until the driveline is further inspected. We do not believe the converter can get oil right now due to pump/oil issues so running the engine could be damaging the converter. Just would like to put something in to protect the sleeves a bit OR, if if pukes right into the engine or something, at least we would know. There is a point on this old machine where we would have to call it "not worth fixing" and it may fastly approach that so don't want to spend much on it until we know more. Unfortunately we are having a cold snap right now.

  6. #6Jonas3022019-10-30 19:47

    I didnt know antifreeze was getting extra expensive maybe a regional thing? carquest dropped off an ad buy 12 full strength green for 6.99 each Otherwise stop by a junk yard they drain it all and have barrels of it might have some oil or dirt but really doesnt sound like that would hurt your situation any

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-10-30 20:48

    Yikes !! $13.00 to $15.00 a gallon for full strength in Oklahoma City, Auto zone. $6.88 near me in Illinois.

  8. #8fastline2019-10-30 20:56

    Yeah, they are just gouging due to the season. Just dumb to spend inflated new price for something that is just a flush for me. I like the idea of used coolant but trying to figure out where I can get some, that is not contaminated. I don't mind running it through a little filter though. Figure I might need to do this a couple times to see what I gather out of the system anyway.

  9. #9Delmer2019-10-30 21:13

    Let it settle in a clean bucket, then siphon off into a clean jug, avoiding the oil on top and rust on the bottom.

  10. #10Tinkerer2019-10-30 22:27

    Paint filters have worked well for me. Even for hyd. oil.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2019-10-30 22:43

    Glad to hear we art the only ones to do that.

  12. #12fastline2019-10-30 22:43

    Show me which filters you are talking about. The little cup filters I am thinking about are about the size of a coffee filter and cannot see them filtering 20gal of fluid. BUT, I agree, that type of filter is ideal. I might have an old "outerwear" for a K&N filter (offroad race engine crap) that may work perfect. I don't need sub micron filtration here, just keep the "small children" from going back in....

  13. #13Jonas3022019-10-30 23:08

    https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-100-60-to-70-mesh-paint-strainers- If you buy a lot from a parts store that does body supplies they are usually free we use them for everything also but yes anything would work even an old tshirt

  14. #14Tinkerer2019-10-31 10:27

    I have used plain ole paper paint filters that are shaped like funnel. I drop them in a steel funnel. Slow straining but very effective.

  15. #15Welder Dave2019-10-31 18:19

    It might help to know what machine you are talking about. If the 1st priority is to see if it leaks, just use plain water. If you use antifreeze and it leaks into the crankcase could take out the bearings.

  16. #16Delmer2019-10-31 18:42

    An old cat dozer that he wants to do some work and testing on, unknown history etc. Doesn't want to worry about freezing it. Pour one gallon antifreeze in and forget about it, unless you want to run it more than a couple minutes at a time.

  17. #17petepilot2019-10-31 19:57

    go find a sherwin williams store get a paint pump filter five gallon size

  18. #18kshansen2019-11-01 14:08

    Or if they are not near by there is always Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Pain...ZWM97R6NW71&psc=1&refRID=X7RGPVNQRZWM97R6NW71