I have a customer with a mobark 950 tube grinder. From what I was told the grinder got blocked up and caused clutch to smoke now clutch wont engage. Now on belt driven units the belt would slip this is shaft driven there has to be some kind of torque limiter or something to prevent everything from looking up. Any advice would be great I have not got out to look at machine yet just want to see if someone on here has experience with this machines.
I don’t have any experience with tub grinders but I would say you’re going to put a clutch in it. Any chippers ive been around have the feed chain that stops automatically when the engine rpms drop.
No tub grinder experience, but a good bit on chippers, some of it Morbark. I have seen exactly this, and I second that you should be prepared to change the clutch. Once that clutch gets hot enough, it won't engage. You may be able to get a few more hours out of it with an adjustment, but it probably won't be satisfactory.
I have done a lot with chippers as well but they are belt driven and feed wheels stop but there has to be something in this system that shuts it down if it got jammed it has a drive shaft I can't see it there not being a system in place so it dont just lock engine. I can't find manual anywhere I guess il have to go take a look and see what I get.
All the tub grinders I've been around had auto reverse controlled by some kind of load cell. I would suspect the clutch was loose to begin with and had been slipping for quite awhile. What I've seen on the industrial clutches is if they got hot enough to smoke, the disks got warped and the pressure plates are burned. Like the others said above, you might plan on changing it out.