Looking at purchasing a CAT 297C with the ASV under carriage. Any comments on the two ASV track systems available on the machine the; single level and dual level bogie systems? The dual level system 4 bogies on each side which oscillate, has narrow rubber pads on steel bogie wheels and the single level system 5 bogies on each side has wider (twice as wide) rubber pads on steel wheel bogies. Which system holds up better? any experience with the two systems? Looked at one with dual level and the rubber was pretty chewed up on the bogies and some idlers, on another machine with single level the rubber was in very good condition, close to same hours, of coarse it depends who was operating the machines and what they were in - the conditions operated in. Would really appreciate your input on this question. Thank you in advance.
What no reply to this question?
I have a 287C with the oscillating suspension. It has 1600 hours on it now and is time to change the tracks. Pros: Much smoother ride. More productive as it allows higher speeds on rougher terrain. Cons: Not as durable in rock and gravel conditions. It may be more expensive to replace. I am not sure on the cost of the non-oscillating bottom roller type. All metal front and rear idlers and bottom rollers are available for the oscillating type, and I would recommend the all metal type for durabilty. The oscillating type have three drive lug rows, and I am not sure on the others but I believe they have two. More drive rows equals less pressure per row in my way of thinking, and less chance of ripping a lug off. Because of the extra row the sprocket goup (inner bushings, outer bushings, and bolts in the sprocket cage) are probably more expensive to replace. My cost per hour on our 287C is $4.38. We still have a bit of life left so it will go down some, but I think that we have achieved a fair amount more life than many people get. I hope that this helps!