Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any Deutz guys….

simonsrplant · 2025-08-10 15:51

I have a Deutz engine on a screening plant that I'm doing some work on. Short story is the previous owner butchered and Jimmy rigged it to keep it running. None of the shut down features are on it so I'm working on returning it to stock. The fuel solenoid is redundant currently so it just employs the mechanical stop lever. Is there a mechanical fuel screw to open up the rack? Any help would be appreciated

Replies12
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-08-10 16:19

    U probably already know that the mechanical shut off lever is behind the oil dipstick.. the one with the red ball on it.. The starting or excess fuel is spring loaded “to start”..after every shut down..& may be linked to the shiny solenoid u have bolted to the side of the governor.. Just make sure u return the shut off lever to the RUN POSITION after the engine shuts off.. hope that helps

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-08-10 22:05

    Why do people mess with safety systems?? I can see doing DEF deletes if it's allowed or reducing the electronics but removing safety systems on a Deutz seems dumb.

  3. #3simonsrplant2025-08-12 16:12

    It really isn't smart. That's for sure.

  4. #4Simon C2025-08-12 19:49

    I have a operations manual from a BFL6 913 if you need some info. Has some good pointers on maintenance items such as valve sets and fuel and oil gallery plumbing. Has a whole lot of torque specs. Simon C

  5. #5CM19952025-08-12 20:39

    1st step - Remove said Deutz and send to the scrap yard. 2nd step - Replace with any other engine of choice. Personal thing - I hate Deutz engines after owning a couple of Bobcats powered by them. I swear I don't know which one was worse - the Deutz or the Bobcat. Had to keep several fuel pump solenoids around since they would go out all the time leaving the machine stranded. Sorry - rant and thread hijack over.

  6. #6Simon C2025-08-13 09:48

    They are different engines no doubt. But nothing Cat made or cummins made ever compared to this engine in an underground environment. They can pass emissions with minimal air and easily go 10000 hours with only a top end overhaul. Very expensive to own but work every day. At Noranda's Geco Mine the scooptram manufacturer had Caterpillar pay to remove a whole fleet of Cat3304 engines from their scoops and have these Deutz engines installed that could easily meet the emissions test. It was a learning lesson for Caterpillar that then began to build electronic engines configured to run underground. My father who is 86 years old was there at the time this happened in about 1985 and witnessed the whole thing. Cummins has not to my knowledge ever made something that can run underground. Detroit Diesel had motors that could pass emissions with different gear train timing and different injectors. Lots of Kubotas and Isuzu engines underground. There was a lot of Series 60 engines underground in the 90's. Just saying. Simon C

  7. #7BC Placer gold2025-08-13 10:17

    We used a Deutz powered Eimco scooptram in 1990/91 for a 2000 tonne exploration/bulk test in the Cariboo region of central BC. Certainly was a clean burning machine… probably had a bunch of hours on it by then (was well used lol!)

  8. #8cfherrman2025-08-13 13:05

    I saw in a video a brand new mechanical, I believe a 3306, going into a mine a year or two ago

  9. #9simonsrplant2025-08-13 16:47

    that would be deadly if i could get a copy

  10. #10Simon C2025-08-13 23:27

    Will send you a private text. Maybe can help. Simon C

  11. #11HardRockNM2025-08-13 23:53

    The 3304 is a good engine, but I can speak to it having no place underground. The mine I'm at now bought a "refurbished" EIMCO 913 with a 3304PCNA in it a while back, thing smoked like a locomotive and left visible soot deposits on the ribs. By MSHA data we could run a smaller LHD and two haul trucks, all with Deutz 912Ws, and still put out only half the emissions of that 3304. That's going off book data - I think it ran dirtier than spec, and our small machines all have water bath exhaust scrubbers. That 913 was not repowered and became an intermittent-use surface machine instead. I never could figure out why EIMCO offered 3304s as an option in LHDs. It simply makes no sense to try running one in a mine. If I remember correctly, they went back to Deutz after that, and Mercedes in some bigger 92x-series LHDs. Fuel screw should be behind an access panel on the lower end of the governor.

  12. #12Simon C2025-08-15 00:09

    In the 90's they used some 3304's with some different pistons and maybe timing to make them run better, but no comparison to a Deutz 912 or 913. Just what I witnessed. Simon C