Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any good ideas on installing tracks on Cat 279c??

277 ยท 2017-11-12 20:16

I'm trying to install the new tracks on my 279c without any luck. To the ones that have done this before, where do you start first? Do you try to get it on the sprocket, rear idler, or front idler first??? I did not take the track off. My brother brought my machine back with a broken track. Any ideas much appreciated!!

Replies12
  1. #192U 34062017-11-12 21:12

    Make sure the idler is fully retracted first. Then take the sprocket off. That should give you enough slack to slip the track on. Once the track is in place, slip the sprocket back on. Its doable with 1 person but 2 makes it much easier.

  2. #22772017-11-12 21:24

    I have front idler shoved back. So your saying take sprocket off, then place track on both front and rear idlers. After that, pull up and try to place sprocket on??

  3. #3Canadian_digger2017-11-12 21:26

    Just lift the machine high enough that metal cleats on the track clear the rollers and idlers. Any higher and you are taking up slack. Make sure your front idler is going all the way in. You can even pull it out to make sure their is no dirt inside preventing it to retract.

  4. #4Canadian_digger2017-11-12 21:34

    I normally get it on the sprocket first then rear then front. I also stick a bunch of round pipe or bar in between the steel cleats on the tracks so they slide past the idlers with out getting hung up.

  5. #52772017-11-12 21:59

    Everytime I would try to put track on sprocket first, the track would hit the framing of the machine. The 279c, 289c and 299c framing is different than the C2 and D series from what I see, making it harder to put the track on. I've watched a few videos with the pipes and such and understand that. I just can't get to that stage yet. When you put it on the sprocket first,,,, was it a C-series machine? Thanks,

  6. #692U 34062017-11-12 22:17

    Yep. I've done a couple that way. These tracks suck to put on regardless of whatever method one seems to try. Edit: If the track adjuster recoil spring is broken or if the cavity is packed full of mud, the idler won't fully retract. Just something to look for if you have a lot of trouble. Also ensure the replacement track length is correct.

  7. #7KSSS2017-11-13 15:23

    I don't have CAT CTL but I doubt it matters much, I use a mini ex. Get the old track off, slide the back of the track on the back sprocket (using the bucket of mini ex to push the track under the machine). I then use a grading bucket on the mini ex which is wider with no teeth and I snag the track with the back of the grading bucket and push it over the front sprocket. This works well enough I can put a track on by myself in 20 min.

  8. #8DIYDAVE2017-11-14 20:03

    I know, in the manual of my ASV RC-30, the manual suggests removing certain of the bogey wheels, to make track removal/installation easier. Might not be anything like yours, but I'd see what the manual says about it...

  9. #992U 34062017-11-14 23:07

    I took a quick look at Cat's procedure. Here's the condensed version: You want raise and secure the loader arms, then jack the machine up so the tracks are about 2" off the ground. Then you want to install the track on the rear idler and sprocket first, followed by installing it onto the front idler. Says also that you may need to use suitable cribbing under the track to take up the sag to aid installation. In the pictures they are using a crane to manipulate the track into position.

  10. #102772017-11-16 20:01

    Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend and give an update. I do know they are harder to install than my cat 277 was.

  11. #11crewchief8882017-11-18 17:28

    if it was my brother (or anyone else) he'd be the one fighting with the track, i'd be drinking beer and making fun of him.....

  12. #122772017-11-20 15:22

    Well I have it up and running!! 2 things helped the most: 1) making sure the front wheel was shoved all the way in,, it was not at first. 2) putting my half inch breaker bar between the front wheel and track with a pipe on the end of breaker bar. I then put a strap around pipe and pulled it slightly diagonal onto the wheel. We used my son's Hummer to slightly pull the strap. You could see it going right on!!!