Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any idea what this filter is for?

Eclipse2004 · 2020-03-19 21:23

Was running D8H cat (1974 I believe is the year). The filter in cab on RH side popped off and thick black oil leaked out. What is this filter for? It’s the one in behind on first picture.

Replies16
  1. #1bccat2020-03-20 00:52

    Does it have a winch?, if so ,could be filter for it

  2. #2highwayghost2020-03-20 02:32

    The oil looks like diesel motor oil. Odd place for a filter.

  3. #3epirbalex2020-03-20 05:45

    Do either of them get hot ? That looks like engin oil . I would open up the floor plates and see where the hoses go .

  4. #4MattR2020-03-20 08:00

    Tranny oil will get that way too. Dirty brown. But location does seem odd. Yes, trace the hoses. I'm curious too.

  5. #5Bls repair2020-03-20 09:41

    Owner added secondary filter ,filter relocation kit?

  6. #6Nige2020-03-20 09:56

    Judging by the colour of the oil, a remote engine filter. As others have said, follow the lines leading to/from it and see where they end up. It's not Rocket Science.

  7. #7John C.2020-03-20 10:01

    More info on the machine? Maybe a photo of the entire machine showing any attachments that might be installed.

  8. #8highwayghost2020-03-20 10:17

    If I see in right, the clamp on hose is on the 'inlet' while the fitting hose is on the 'outlet'. Seems reversed from standard. Large hoses for engine oil. I've seen where add on filters have allowed the oil pressure to drop from additional flow.

  9. #9Eclipse20042020-03-20 10:21

    The front filter is for hydraulic oil I believe but not 100%. I’m not at location now to chase lines but it has about the same size lines at winch in back. I could not find fill plug for winch to see if oil is the same, will have to look again. That oil does come out when engine is running, filter bolt threads stripped when clearing snow and I had to shut her down

  10. #10Eclipse20042020-03-20 10:24

    There is two oil filters beside engine, we recently changed oil

  11. #11John C.2020-03-20 10:28

    Those filters are likely for the winch. There should be an extra pump under the floor boards, usually an aluminum bodied Cessna brand pump that runs the controls for the winch. I haven't seen the small filter that failed before but then again I don't look real close at that unless there is a problem like you are having. One observation though. Winches never get any kind of maintenance. I've seen plenty of them that have never had the oil changed or that were completely full of water. The level plugs on all I have looked at or worked on are on the operator's right side of the winch. There are usually two, top off is the upper and minimum level is the lower.

  12. #12MattR2020-03-20 11:04

    I recently bought a D8H with winch also. I'll look next week if it's set up the same.

  13. #13Eclipse20042020-03-20 14:51

    Would the winch pump run when lever not engaged? ( oil does flow through that line when engine starts) Wonder why it had enough pressure to pop filter off.

  14. #14epirbalex2020-03-20 16:00

    Sounds like a relief valve has failed blowing off the filter . I would think the pump is pumping all the time . It would not be too far fetched that somebody had drained the engin oil and used it to fill the winch , tough call but better than water . Doing that there should be about 2 gals spare .

  15. #15Eclipse20042020-03-20 16:21

    Thanks for the info, will head out in a few days to check it out.

  16. #16John C.2020-03-20 17:58

    As I recall I've seen two types of pump systems on Cargo winches. One is hooked to the back of the engine next to the torque converter or master clutch on real old machines. The other has the pump mounted inside the winch and the piping comes out the top in front of the winch drum and below that flat plate. That flat plate is also where the water leaks into the winch from. It would be my guess that the broken filter housing just came loose and fell apart. I don't recall there being more than a few hundred pounds of pressure making that system work.