Thinking of trading my 331 in on a repode 442 with 175 hours on her. I was looking for a 337 but this one is almost new and a real steal. What do you all think???
they have good power they are a machine bobcat doesn't make but buys from switzerland or something other competitors have the exact same machine just painted diffrent parts are expensive i know that they run a water cooled deutz i believe
Thanks for the reply. Dealer says it's an oil cooled Deutz. What do you think about that? Good or bad? As far as the deal I'm getting, I have a choice between a 1900 hour 435, a 2200 hour 337 or this 175 hour 442 all for around the same price... I could use all the extra power. I'm just a little worried cuz they're not that popular and Bobcat doesn't make them... Is that a cause for concern? I'd sure like to know who does make it. I can't seem to find much info on the web...
my friend just picked one up shoul dbe here early next week so ill let ya know how it is but everyone seems to like em
I agree with bobcatmechanic. I'm pretty sure that it is a Deutz water cooled engine. Bobcat used to use oil cooled Deutz but have not for some time. I know the machine is made in Europe. For some reason I thought Germany. I messed around in a 442 this last fall at our local dealer for about an hour. I did not really like the cab I thought it was cramped and difficult to get in and out of. Other than that it seemed good.
A337 is a nice tractor use a lot for small jobs get a thumb
The 442 is made by Terex.
I have a 442 with 1200 hours on her and love it. Have not had a problem at all. Just grease it change the oil fill it with fuel and go.
Well, as of this morning, it sounds like the 442 is no longer available. Seems another customer had already expressed interest in it last week. So that put me 2nd in line. It really sucks, because I've gotten real excited about it. I should find out later today if the guy is going to take it. If not, it's mine!
I just bought one, I will take delivery next week when the automatic greaser is done. The Bobcat 442 is not made by Bobcat. It was part of the German made Schaeff line, which was also sold under the New Holland brand name, (EC line), Ingersoll – Rand brand name and the Terex brand name. Terex bought out Schaeff and have continued the Schaeff line of compact excavators under the Terex brand. The Terex HR32, Terex TC75, Bobcat 442 and Ingersol –Rand ZX75 are all exactly the same machine with different paint. The climate control systems are the only difference I can find, as the Ingersoll –Rand comes with factory air, while all Bobcat and some Terex come with dealer installed after market systems. I own two New Holland EC series machines, EC15 and EC45 and bought the Schaeff built machine (Bobcat 442) because I have been very happy with them. I don’t care about paint color, I care about low ownership costs and high performance. I get both from the Schaeff package. Bobcat has been bought out by Doosan (who also bought out Daewoo a few years back), and so they will soon be selling the old Daewoo excavator line with white paint and Bobcat stickers on them. That’s why the remaining 442s are selling cheap. Don’t worry about parts, you can buy them direct from your nearest Terex dealer for years to come. Pete
Sorry, forgot to add. The 442 has a Deutz OIL cooled motor in it. The smaller Schaeff machines have Mitsubishi water cooled motors in them. Schaeff put huge horsepower into small packages, 73hp into the 442. That is far more then any competitor in the 7-8T class and more then many 10-12T machines. On my 5T machine big power translated into big performance when compared to competitor's machines. I'm looking forward to seeing it that holds true for the 8T machine. Pete
Thanks Pete, I'm still working on finding a suitable 442. Think I'm close right now.
I've had no experience with the 442 although I own 435 and an older 331.I've heard they are expensive and hard to work on,but a quality machine. The experience I had with the oil cooled Duetz has been the 1011 model rated at about 80 hp in the Gehl skid steers. I had reservations about the cooling system but found it to be a great idea after putting 5000 hrs on one machine and 700 on the second one,Ive had no leaks on the old machine and the new one had a seep leak where a hose clamp had not been tightened properly.The hose clamp was on a shut-off valve to the heater The engine oil is cooled in a single radiator that is set up to cool the hydraulic oil also.Single component to cool both fluids and regular hydraulic hoses to transfer the oil, No special parts for the cooling system. Thermastat,water pump ect are gone. I'm sure the 442 is cooled this way but may have separate radiators for the two systems. The heater works off the oil and heats up the cab very well in sub-zero conditions. I think most of the oil goes back to the engine sump when the engine is shut off so heating the oil with a magnetic heater is the most I had to do to warm up the oil. When I have had to break hoses apart, I have never had to drain the system. The Duetz starts very easy and have been direct-injected since the late nineties. Mine have turbos and it's only my opinion that these engines really are powerful and well made. Getting rid of the anti-freeze system in the colder climates where I live is a dream come true.The cost of fluids is more because I change the oil more often and it takes more oil to supply the the system But getting rid of the headaches associated with an unstable water and anti-freeze is a good thing , I think more manufactures should be looking into this. Scott
i think the oil cooled Deutz was in the 863/873 skid loaders. the 442 is water cooled. i'm from indiana and the indy dealer had some machines at one time. i even looked into a used unit for less than 40, and a IR version for around 45
So does this mean we are going to see the bigger Doosan excavators, painted white with bobcat stickers on them.
what i've heard is that they make models E60 and E80. these will be white. as far as anything bigger and smaller, I haven't heard. but this is second or third hand info though. i'm not real sure on the size of those though, i assume 6 metric tonne and 8 metric tonne??
The 442 is oil cooled, They use a Duetz 2011, which is a newer version of the 1011. Scott
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been working with my dealer for almost 3 weeks now trying to find a good 442. I originally went to him to try and trade my 331 in for a 337 or 341, but he had am awesome deal on a 200 hour 442 that was a repo. Well, long story short, after a lot of research, I decided I wanted the 442. Come to find out, another customer was in line before me on that machine and he got it. So we've been on the hunt for another 442. At this point, he's finalizing the numbers and availability on another 200 hour machine and also a new one. I should know by the middle of the week. All the feed back I've gotten has been very positive about the 442. At this point I don't want to settle for anything less. I've got a lot of clearing to do and the 442 would be perfect. Not to big and heavy, as to tear the ground up real bad, and strong, powerful with good reach.
I agree you can't go wrong with the machine. Check your local (or not so local) Terex and Ingersoll Rand dealer. They are the exact same machines, possibly at a better price. More options is always good. Don't let your Bobcat dealer know you really want the machine, or they usually hose you. Pete
Thanks Pete. Yeah, that's a good idea to check at the Terex dealer. I'll see where the closest one is. I've looked on Machine Trader for TC75's, but hadn't though of looking for a Terex dealer. I'd like to go with my Bobcat salesman though. He's a friend and a long time equipment man and on my side 100%, trying to get me the best deal possible. (I know, not you normal situation...) So, he's already said if I can find a better deal somewhere else, I should go for it. He said he'd even look at the machine with me if I wanted. He's a good guy. I've just got to be patient and wait for the right deal. Luckily (or unluckily) I don't have a real "need" for the machine right this minute anyway. I've got time to play this out. It's just hard for me to be patient.... So in the mean while, if anyone has any more comments on the 442 (good or bad) I'd love to hear it... Hey Pete, on the new 442 you've got coming in, is it still oil cooled? I read that they switched to water cooled in the "08 model year.... I hope not!
Well, After a long, drawn out ordeal, I've finally got the 442. Strange, but its the original unit I had looked at. It has 181 hours, BC thumb, 24" & 36" buckets, H&H QT and everything was serviced. All for $32k. I couldn't be happier. After running the 331 for so long, this machine is a beast. I'll have to get a little seat time to get used to her size and power. I'll have to get some picks and post them. Thanks to all that commented!
I demoed a 442 today and i thought it was a nice machine.. Def had some power and it was pretty smooth.. The cab was a little differnt took a few mins to get used to but other then that i liked it
The 442 is defiantly a different animal than the normal Bobcat Mini-X.
Yeah well its def a lot bigger then the rest of there machines... I own a bobcat 334 mini and i cant complain about it at all its a nice machine and its been problem free since 2005..
I wasn't saying anything bad about the smaller Bobcat Mini-X line up. I really liked my 331. It was fast, smooth and powerful for it's size. I just meant that the 442 isn't really made by Bobcat and operating it, you can really tell. It's just a lot different. It's much more like a large excavator than a mini. I'm still getting used to mine and I like it more and more every time I run it. I do miss my 331 a little though...
Hey country what do they compare the bobcat 442 against what model cat,deere,etc
A little off topic but a fella in another town about 10 miles from me just had his Bobcat mini-ex repoed. The damn fool had just put new tracks on it and only had 4 payments left on it. If i remember correctly it was one of the 300 series with a heated cab and hydrolic thumb. He ran the snot out of it but why he let it go for lack of payment and put tracks on it not to long ago i dont understand. Might better have put the track money towards payments. I wish i had known sooner, i would have made him a good offer on it. It would have saved his credit and i could have gotten the machine way cheaper than anywhere else. I bet whomever financed it for him is loving it, they made almost all their money and now they can resell it for a good profit to boot.
i guess the reason why there so fast and productive is there on a 3 pump system as opposed to a one pump system so each function doesnt share any hydralic power
The 442 is comparable to the Cat 307D, in between the Deere 60D and 75D, a little bigger than the Takeuch TB153FR and Kubota doesn't make a machine in the clas. :usa
I would like to see it in the dirt against the cat 307..
I think most all machines now are at least 3 pump systems. I know that the IHI I had was 4. Two gear and two piston. The more the better for multifunctioning.
Micros usually run on 2 gear pumps only - but they are small so we'll let them off!!!! Modern 1.5 tonners usually run on at least 3 pumps, with at least 1 being a variable displacement pump.
I did my first major job with my 442 last week. I dug a large rear addition 25x45ft with a garage beside that. The bottom of the hole was almost 7 ft from grade. I was on site at 7am, and started loading trucks at 730am. I had three tri-axles driving for me. I had loaded 18 trucks by noon, at which point I sent two of the trucks home because the last part of the dig was a lot more finicky. The job was completely dug by 530pm. I had moved 23 tri-axle loads, plus probably another 5 - 6 loads I left on site for backfill. There is still room for improvement. I think I could load 35 tri-axles in a stand on your head kind of day with this machine. I'm very happy with that. I'm really happy with the 36" bucket with spade teeth. Pete
Redneckpete sound like you had a good day. I have a 442 as well and a 12", 24", and a 32" bucket with a schaef quick coupler. There wasn't a 36" bucket available when I got mine and I didn't want to special order. I have had my machine for 18 months and love it.
That's awesome Pete!:thumbsup
was the 341 built by bobcat? Thats comparable in size with the 442 right? I rented a 341 for a week to remove stumps and was impressed with the machine and then I rented a cat 305 and after that I was really impressed with the 341. Far more power and easilly just as fast and smooth
Yes the 341 was built by bobcat. I owned a 341 it was compared to a cat 305 the 442 is in a total differnt class. What machine are you saying you liked better the 341 or the cat 305.
I like the 341 better longer reach and more digging power and it just seemed like it was easier to get in and out of. I am not brand loyal I just want a good machine at a good price and I am only commenting on the machines I ran not future or past machine. Just so no one takes offense I'm not bashing any ones baby:cool2
ahh I just looked it up I guess my numbers were running together the 337 is the newer 341 I gotcha now
The 341 is a long reach version of the 337. Bobcat has discontinued the 341, but you can still get a 337 with long reach as an option. As was said above, the 442 is a much larger an more powerful machine and weighs 6-7 thousand pounds more than the 337 or 341. The 442 is the only Bobcat mini-x not made by Bobcat. It's made in Germany by Terex.
100% correct on everything you just said.. I had a bobcat 341 excavator the work i did with that machine was unreal.. It had a lot of power
the kubota 080 is comparable in size weight and horsepower aswell as reach depth etc.