Have a 87 Pete with the 300 Cummins. Today the pulley on the back of the Vib balancer broke a circle around where it is press on. Sounded like a pie pan flopping around on there. I would like to find a good used one if possible. Most of todays suppliers are not going to have 30 yr old stuff. My neighbor who does alot of Cummins work said he never seen one break like that before. Anyone have a lead? Thanks, LB
Buy a new one! Its under a hundred bucks from cummins.
I've seen cummins and cat do that, various ages too. If the pulley came apart chances are the balancer isn't long for this world either. I'd look close at it and if in doubt replace it. Cranks don't like to be upset balance wise. There are some good aftermarket balancers. As far as the pulley, I bet they're around. Those motors ran in various forms a long time and I would imagine there is some interchange with various other models. Might be a cummins expert on here that can say for sure. For $hits and grins call the local cummins supplier with your CPL and see what they say. Or call Pete dealer with VIN. Might be pleasantly surprised or have to pick yourself up off the floor! Worst case you end up with a part number to search. Junkyard
Central engine core- springfield mo. I don't know where you're located in missouri, but I've gotten quite a bit of stuff from them. It usually is 1/2 or less of new price, but like doyleX says, a new one's only a $100. You can't drive very far to only save $50 on the cost of a new one, for a used part.
Like he said Truck Shop
If I can buy one new for a hundred dollars I would be right down there. I had already talked to Cummins in Springfield MO yesterday and gave the numbers but of course it was not coming up anything and would call me back-----not yet. I kind of had a price of 600 plus in mind, use to Cat prices, so maybe I'm off 500 $$. Will call them back today. Thanks. LB
New sounds like the way to go, but if that doesn't work out, or you're just cheap and this is a weekend warrior engine, then you could try fleabay, or machinery trader used parts search. Enter the part number and see what you get.
I don't find cummins in springfield very helpful, especially if you don't have your exact part # . The guys at central core are great to work with, its just sometimes they don't have your part if they've been shipping out a lot of parts/core motors. Heavy duty rebuilders supply in ozark sometimes sells parts off their motors too. Deal with the yard guys, not the office people. Neither place is great over the phone, I usually just take my part and head there. I would go to central core first, then ozark.
I may have a development on this part. Neighbor mechanic thought the pulley was press fit and balancer and pulley came as one unit. But it seems the pulley is separate and the broken hub should come out of the balancer. Then I just need a pulley at 80 dollars from Peterbilt or 93 at Cummins. Not chicken feed but not a sweat item. Thanks for input to everyone. LB
Well, the pulley problem all turned out pretty good. My mechanic made the mistake of thinking the pulley was pressed on and we needed the entire balancer and being used to CAT prices I could see 7 to 8 hunderd dollars there. Ended up being for a new one 55 bucks plus shipping from out of state. I did check Central Core as advised but I guess they don't like to mess with small stuff and had a quote of $ 100 for a used one that would be on the way to cracking from old age too. Thanks, LB