Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any thoughts on a 1986 Ford 655 backhoe for building neew home ect.?

lavarock64 ยท 2007-09-26 15:39

I'm back. Still lurking the area for a backhoe in my price range (around $12,000). I'm in no hurry to buy a machine. We plan to build in 3 or so year's and i've been waiting for a good deal to come along. The hoe will be used for basement, septic, electric/well lines and other odd projects during the build. i will likely sell the hoe upon completion. I did a search and it does not seem these hoes are very popular, but I thought I would ask. Seller seems eager to sell (liquidating composting business). Here is the discription Backhoe: Ford 655A (1986) ; about 6500 hours of use; rear rubber 95% ; in working condition; might need new pins and bushings and injection pump might need some work Whats the worst case for the pins and injector pump? Thanks, sorry to be long winded, Chris

Replies16
  1. #1biggixxerjim2007-09-26 16:32

    Get a 4x4.

  2. #2surfer-joe2007-09-26 23:57

    Personal & experienced opinion............ Stay a long ways away from a Ford tractor backhoe product.

  3. #3fireman0502007-09-27 01:35

    i think ford backhoes are p.o.s

  4. #4lavarock642007-09-27 08:50

    That's seems to be the general opinion when I did the search. What is the main dislike of the units? I've heard some say the motors are weak and some of the hoe parts tend to break. Anything else? This unit is 4x4 with a standard hoe. Lavarock

  5. #5CM19952007-09-27 19:56

    Exactly! That + 6500 hours = run very fast away from that BH. You may very likely have more than the purchase price in repairs during your building process and the machine won't be worth what you paid for it when you are finished. $12k is awful high for an '86 model Ford with 6500 hours, that machine should be $5000-6000. Go surf machinery trader - I bet you can find some decent Deere, Case or Cat models in your price range. Plus parts availability will be much better with the forementioned 3 brands. Here's a couple: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6084598&guid=7DEB476D66154DDF89559A9C8C3E4EB4 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6081787&guid=7DEB476D66154DDF89559A9C8C3E4EB4 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6096211&guid=7DEB476D66154DDF89559A9C8C3E4EB4 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5774602&guid=7DEB476D66154DDF89559A9C8C3E4EB4 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6072838&guid=7DEB476D66154DDF89559A9C8C3E4EB4

  6. #6tylermckee2007-09-27 20:37

    get yourself an older 580 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6095069&guid=7DEB476D66154DDF89559A9C8C3E4EB4

  7. #7ror76a2007-09-27 21:38

    Allright, I cant sit idely by while you guys trash ford backhoes. My company has used ford hoes for over 30 years, and they have been very reliable, even with high hours (we still have an old 4500 from the early 70s that is a little slopy but still gives an honest days work). We have looked at other brands and the ford always came out the winner for us. The fords have exceptional hydrolic power and speed (compared to other brands). A ford backhoe that has been abused would be something to stay away from (this goes for any brand). Sure the engines, pins and bushings, hydrolic hoses, and everything else does eventualy wear out (have not seen a machine that does not yet). It can all be rebuilt, but it is cheaper to find one it good shape to start with and take care of it. 12,000 sounds slightly high for a 655, but not crazy for one that is in good shape, definatly high for one that needs work. My cousin has a 655 that they bought new, I think it was one of the first with four wheel drive. He has nothing but good to say about that machine. The injector pump will probaly be at least a thousand dollars (never had trouble with one on a ford myself). Pins & bushings depends on which ones - some linkages dont have bushings so they would need to be line bored and instal bushings (or depending on the situation you can cut out the boss and weld in a new one or grind out the boss to fit a bushing) - that can get expensive quick, others are not a big deal to replace the pins and bushings - still not cheap. For clearing a homesite and the work you talk about doing you should be able to work with a reasonable amount of slop. That little 655 will out work any 580 case that I have ever been around. I don't want to start any brand war here, I am just stating my experiances, and my company's experiances with theses machinses, and my biased oppinions, but everyone has diffrent experances and oppinions. It sounds like most of you guys have not had as good of luck as we had with ford backhoes, but they are a far cry from a POS. I reserve that title for ford trucks and cars.:cool2

  8. #8lavarock642007-09-28 09:50

    Thanks for more input! Looks like I may have missed the boat on this one. Talked with the facility director and he said he is 90% sure that it has sold. Thanks for listing the hoes from Mtrader. One thing that was appealing to me in this sale was 1- no tax, 2- I did not need to hire someone to transport the machine. The search continues.

  9. #9tuney4432007-10-01 22:15

    Too bad you missed out on my JD 510 B I sold back in April for $14K---then you would have had a nice older machine that ran---well,""Like a Deere.''

  10. #10dozerman212007-10-04 01:16

    I dont know about ford backhoes, but my case seems to have worked fine. If you want it, I have it for sale in the classifieds section. Sounds like you are not too far away.

  11. #11jazak2007-10-04 16:16

    Fords are POS & you NEED 4x4. IMO

  12. #12Bayrat2007-10-08 14:49

    Looking for a backhoe Well, I need to get my three posts in as a new member so I can start a thread. I too am looking for a used backhoe for use around the place. So far, a local dealer is anxious to sell me a 1987 JCB 1400B extend a hoe, 4x4 but I believe the price at 5k hours of 17k is too high. Don

  13. #13machinery2008-11-26 02:31

    4x4. IMO ------------------------------------------ Machinery products catalog ,including stamping , bearing , mould , printing machine , ball valve

  14. #14stumpjumper832008-11-26 06:44

    I was at an auction two weeks ago where 10k would have had the pick of the lot. There were 6 or 7 case 580's there starting with a super d, up thru a L2. Some were 4x4, all but one was e-hoe. Hours were on the 4k range but the machines were not bad. All would pick themselves up off the ground at idle w/ the hoe. The 4x4 didn't effect the price much. And yes, I too think that they want too much for a 86 ford. Now if your really lookig for a hoe, now is as good as ever, if and when the economy turns around, the housing markets will jump and anybody with a digger is going to be busy, if that happens the equipment prices are going to jump. Backhoes and skidsteers will probably jump first cause they are so multi use. One more thing, look very closly at what your getting, don't be afraid to have a trained mechanic come out and look it over, pull some oil samples and have them tested. There are some machines out that that are a buy, and there are some machines that are out there looking to take someone so be carefull.

  15. #15Johnny Utah2008-12-02 11:42

    I would agree that a 4x4 would be a far better machine for your needs but I think the a 4x4 655 would do your job, I have experience working with them and their a fair machine, although I bought a JCB 3CX which I like but it is a far heavier machine, the Ford can be better for agriculture work as it is lighter and that is a big factor here in Northern Ireland also the JCB has better ground clearence IMO Differences in digger comes down to personal preference alot of the time

  16. #16rextafier2009-09-22 22:29

    ford 755 tlb I am looking to find somwhere to get parts for a ford 755a if anybody knows where there are some not running let me know. Thanks