Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any thoughts on this antique logging choker that I found with metal detector…..

Amysattic519 · 2014-04-30 19:02

Hi. I am new to this forum and hope that someone can possibly help me out with identifying or providing any info whatsoever on this antique logging choker/cable that I found a few weeks ago while metal detecting on my property in Suffolk, Va. It's marked "WRR Co."on one side and what looks like "928" on the other. My first thought was Western Railroad Co. mainly bc I live less than a quarter mile away from railroad tracks. My two and a half year old son and I actually walk to these tracks just about everyday bc he is absolutely OBSESSED with trains and loves watching them go by. We know the train schedule by heart, Lol. Anyway, I'm including some pics and would appreciate any info at all on this old logging choker. Thanks! Amy

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2014-04-30 20:25

    More likely stands for "Wire Rope" something or other, but you never know...

  2. #2CRAFT2014-04-30 20:46

    I will say that it's Old but hardly think that it's an antique …… the style is still a very common type used everyday in Logging Today …….. the knobs being on both ends of the cable tells me that it would be pre-choked to a log before the mainline is there, like in a High-lead show, if it was one used with a Skidder it would be attached to the Main-line via a sliding bell …...

  3. #3old-iron-habit2014-04-30 21:48

    Very common and still used on cable skidders today. Many times when used with a sliding bell the knob on the bell end will be pinned to the bell so it doesn't twist out. Others run 2 sets and do not pin them. Available in stock at our local L& M supply for about $17.00 for six footers. My hands probably still have burrs in them from pulling a million chokers.

  4. #4camptramp2014-07-05 01:50

    You don't say what size line the cable is or the length of the cable . The bell is of a common design , the size would determine the use on the West Coast of B.C. chokers like that are used on Highlead and Slackline yarders . One knob goes around log and locks in bell the other knob would lock into a Bull Hook that hangs off the Butt Rigging .( usually there are 3 chockers hanging off Butt Rigging ) The Butt Rigging is shackled to the Mainline on one end to be pulled forward to the landing and shackled to the Haulback on the other end to pull the Butt Rigging back to the woods after logs are unhooked in landing. The size of cable are usually 7/8 inch to 1 1/8 inch in size and about 28 feet in length . The Chocker Bell and Knobbs on that chocker aren't that old the Knobbs are pressed on, the really old ones had steel knobbs that were filled with babit , made by the camp Blacksmith.

  5. #5camptramp2014-07-05 16:22
  6. #6Amysattic5192014-07-15 00:08

    Still usable? Thanks for all of the info. I sell on eBay and that's why I asked about this choker in the first place.....so I would know how to describe if I were to put it up for auction. Well, I did and I currently have a buyer who needs one and has asked if I thought it could be used for "real work". What do you think? Thanks again! Amy

  7. #7Amysattic5192014-07-15 00:29

    Thanks for all of the info. I sell on eBay and that's why I asked about this choker in the first place.....so I would know how to describe if I were to put it up for auction. Well, I did and I currently have a buyer who needs one and has asked if I thought it could be used for "real work". What do you think? Thanks again! Amy

  8. #8brianbulldozer2014-07-15 00:36

    I think I would describe it as "yard art", "logging memorabilia", or "scrap metal". I certainly would not represent it as usable and risk injury to someone who may not know any better.