I need to buy new tires. The size is 235/80 16. Cam Superline lists them as LRE. I imagine that means load range E. I see different brands and prices on line. Some are about $130 per tire and some are about $200. Any recommendations?
My first choice if I were you would be to convert the tires to 17.5's. That would take new rims and tires of course but it is by far the best tire for high loads. The next best choice is going with the 14 ply 235/80/16's. I bought a new 24K gooseneck last year and made this conversion. Had I ordered the trailer I would have speced the 17.5's on it, as it was I took it to my tire guy and had them pull all of the 10 ply 235/80/16's and replace them with the 14 ply version. You can put considerably more weight per tire by making the switch. The tire is much firmer with a heavier duty side wall.
I just went through this with my 14k equipment trailer. I went with load range G (14ply) tires (ST235/85R16) as that is what the manufacturer spec’d. Load range G tires are hard to find… Anyway, my research showed a lot of reviews from people with heavy RVs and fifth wheel RVs. One of the tires people had good reviews on was the Sailun S637. This is what I went with, Town Fair Tire (regional chain) was able to order then for $179 installed per tire. I haven’t used the trailer much yet so I don’t have a personal opinion.
Yes I did the same thing on my Fuzion toy hauler. Just a much better heavy duty tire.
I don't think I want to or need to switch to 17.5. I don't load it that hard and the current set up as been fine since 2006. Can I change these things myself? I have changed my skid steer tires and have long tire tools for that. Will I be able to mount these or do you need a machine? Thanks.
You can change them same procedure as a skid steer tire
https://www.amazon.com/Transeagle-R...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I am actually leaning to these. The price seems great. I will have to see what I have on their now. They are pretty warn and dry rotted, yet still get the job done. But, I am no longer comfortable taking them on the highway. I have pushed them far enough. https://www.amazon.com/Transeagle-R...sprefix=235/85r16+trailer+tire,aps,101&sr=8-5
I will share that as a trailer dealer, we see the 235/85R16 "G" Sailun fairly regularly and get good reports on it. Nice tread pattern for even wear.
Good to know, thanks!
I have bought tires off of Simpletire.com before. Pricing seems pretty good. Might be an option.
I've been running trailers for 30 years and have tried cheap tires and expensive. If your trailer spends more time sitting than hauling I can suggest the cheap tires, they're likely to dry rot before they wear out. If you spend a lot of time hauling or going long distance I'd recommend a name brand, there is a difference in quality and durability.
I am thinking the exact same thing. This trailer has the same tires since 2006. They are "Mission" brand. They were likely cheap tires. I am leaning towards Transeagle tires and stepping up from load range E to load range F. I can get 4 shipped for about $540 vs the Sailuns for $820 delivered. So, I think I will go with the Transeagles. They seem to have good reviews on Amazon.
I was going to mention earlier that E rated tires sound marginal on a 14K trailer, they're counting on you having a pretty significant tongue weight to meet that load rating. If you have any suspicion of overloading the trailer it wouldn't hurt to go heavier, even G rated tires. They're not too hard to come by and give you a greater margin of safety.
I have no idea how you use your trailer. However, it seems every one of these trailers I see running around here are typically over loaded, which was why I would put the most tire under that you can afford. I have multiple brands of the 14 ply, all seem to be made in China and they all seem to work. Since I have switched everything that runs that size to the 14 ply, I have yet to have to replace one. The 10 plys were a constant rotation of tires.
I think I may have misspoke. The gvwr is 13,800. It is a 6cam12lphd, meaning a cam superline 12ft low profile dump. I think the 6 means it has 6k pound axles. It weighs 3620. I usually load it with firewood, mulch or sometimes gravel. I have four yards of mulch in it now. The most gravel I would put in it would be 3 yards. I believe that puts me at capacity with the trailer weighing about 4k with some wood sides. So, I don't think I ever go over the capacity. The current 10 plys have been on there since 2006. It seems like 14 ply tires are about $820 a set and the 12 plys are $540. The 12s are a step up from what it came with, which were 10plys. Save me from making a mistake, but I think the 14ply tires may be unnecessary in my situation.
When my 14k dump trailer was due for tires (oem cheap 10 plys lasted 9900mi) I put 4, Sailun S637 tires on. I've been running them on other trailers for years, a few other friends have also been using them for years on trailers seeing lots of regular use. I've been very happy with them and for the money they're hard to beat. They pull nice (low rolling resistance being a harder tire), run fairly cool, and I rarely have to add air even after sitting all winter. For the price difference between the 12 ply and the 14 ply I think I'd just go with the 14 ply tires and not have to worry about them at all. It's a $300 difference but if you get another decade out of them, is $30/yr really going to make or break the budget?
I went ahead with the 12 ply tires. It is a step up from what came with it. Now the question is do I mount them myself. I bought tire tools and an air tank to seat my skid steer tires. These rims are white and have excellent paint. Will I likely wreck them mounting these or can this be done with without a machine and not destroy the wheel?
BTW, I went with prioritytire.com. A set of four 12 ply tires shipped to my door was $515 with an Easter coupon. Seems pretty reasonable.
Can anyone explain the single and dual tire ratings for me? Single is rated at 3750 pounds and dual is 3305. Just curious why dual is lower. Thanks.
Doesn't everyone keep an old tire machine tucked away in the garage ?
Yea for $20 bucks a tire to mount, the tire store can have at it.