Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody convert bumper pull trailer to gooseneck?

colson04 ยท 2018-02-15 12:57

Anybody ever converted one over? I know people have before and a good welder/fab shop could do it, just debating whether it's worth it. Trailer in question is a 14,000# GVWR 20' tag equipment trailer that I don't like how it pulls. Empty you don't notice it. Loaded lite or heavy it will jerk and bounce the truck something awful. It has a pintle hitch, which might be part of the problem. Not sure, I've never towed a trailer this light with a pintle. I've had the trailer for 6 years and I'm in it pretty cheap so spending up to $2000 to fab a new hitch would still keep me in a good spot cost wise. The frame and deck is solid, brakes are new. Needs a little bit of electrical work, but nothing excessive. I can't find similar spec'd, used, gooseneck for sale locally that is as solid as this trailer is. Buying new isn't an option. Too expensive for a unit that doesn't get used enough. I think this trailer would be a good candidate for converting over, but I'm not totally convinced I guess. I am still looking at used gooseneck, but if nothing pops up in 4-6 weeks, I'll be seriously looking at converting this one.

Replies6
  1. #1redneckracin2018-02-15 13:40

    Why don't you convert to a ball and add a weight distributing hitch? What are you hauling and how is the weight distribution? What are you pulling it with?

  2. #2colson042018-02-15 14:43

    Truck is a 2008 F-350. Loads vary...skid steer, lumber, pallets of material, logs, etc. It gets used for a lot of things. I had thought about swapping pintle for a ball, but I'm thinking the hitch height would be too high. Never investigated it too far.

  3. #3redneckracin2018-02-15 16:46

    It just seemed like a cheaper option to help with the tongue weight which is what i assumed was giving you problems. I was also suspect of the towing vehicle and i am still not convinced that a tongue heavy 14k trailer isn't alot behind a f350.

  4. #4Old Doug2018-02-15 19:11

    I did it to a trailer i bought 20 + years ago. I bought it knowing i was going to make a gooseneck out of it but back then trailers were hard to find and i didnt have much money also i did all the work.I dont how the market is were you live but i would sell what you have and buy something. Something must be wrong with your setup it should work good.

  5. #5Ronsii2018-02-15 19:51

    ....maybe the truck needs new shocks, since it's an 08 if their OE then they're shot Bumper pulls always bounce more than goosenecks, if I put a 3-4 ton load behind my p/u with a two axle 14k car hauler and not much tongue weight it likes to bob around... so usually I try to put the load so my trucks rear leafs are on the overloads.

  6. #6DMiller2018-02-15 19:59

    I own both, a 18' bumper pull(misnomer as my truck has a Class 4 receiver hitch), car hauler type trailer, heavier frame and supports for heavy point load loads. Tires on it are Load range E 15" so can pull considerable weight does have brakes both axles. then I have a 24' gooseneck single wheel, has Load range F 16" tires better load capacity, more lugs to heavier hubs and brakes, use it for my farm machines primarily but has its place for extra long materials.