Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody do a DEF delete on a Deere 300G LC?

Md00738 · 2020-05-23 11:18

Noodling over just getting rid of the DEF situation on 300G LC. Would be a 2018-2020 machine. Midwest, not California. Anyone done this and happy with results after a couple 1,000 hours? Any what method/who did you have do the delete? Thx

Replies14
  1. #1John C.2020-05-23 16:23

    You really need to keep such requests private. Deere already is raping the agriculture industry over deletes and no one wants to see the same thing happening to the construction and forestry industries.

  2. #2terex herder2020-05-23 18:46

    You have a 5 year emissions warranty on that engine. Why would you throw it away now? If this is your only DEF machine, I know the DEF is a PITA. But get used to it.

  3. #3BigWrench552020-05-23 18:58

    Deleting emissions components is the exact argument that deere uses to keep the software out of our hands. These systems are a pita and I believe they cause a substantial amount of down time. But if you learn how they work then you can keep the down time to a minimum. Gone are the days when you sit idle for hours waiting for the trucks to make it back or to keep the cab warm or cool. These machines have to be ran hard from start to finish and for the love of God keep fresh and clean def fluid in the tank.

  4. #4AzIron2020-05-23 21:00

    Knock on wood none of my deeres have had a problem with the def system not sure I would delete it will kill resale value a dealer definitely wont take it in on trade

  5. #5BSAA65LB2020-05-24 08:25

    Removing pollution control systems can result in fines from the EPA of up to $33,000.00/machine/day. You also could face criminal charges. Having been heavily involved in diesel emissions for a while, IME, I find the DEF to be the least intrusive of the various systems. It does work, as long as it is maintained correctly. Keep it clean, fresh, and full and life isn’t bad with DEF. Don’t maintain correctly, and it will eat your lunch.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2020-05-24 13:27

    "Over", $3000.00 for a muffler.. on a Perkins

  7. #7RollOver Pete2020-05-24 17:34

    Then there's CAT's 5000 hr. filters...

  8. #8CM19952020-05-24 19:55

    Knock on wood DEF hasn't been an issue for us either. 3 pickups and 1 trackhoe running DEF. Only problem we've had is a DEF injector nozzle on our 325FL failed. Currently only using 2.5 gal jugs of DEF delivered by our fuel jobber. The entire container is poured into the tank, if there is any left that can't go into another DEF tank it's poured out. Once the seal is broken it's used right then. I instituted that policy with our first DEF engine in a pickup. Now as we add DEF engines I'm sure the 2.5 gal jugs will become too expensive but we haven't crossed that bridge yet.

  9. #9John C.2020-05-24 20:26

    DEF enabled the firing temperatures to come back up which makes for a more efficient burn in the cylinders. Fuel consumption goes down along with emissions. I've heard the idling issues have pretty much gone away and the number of regenerations has also gone way down. So far it seems to be working as advertised.

  10. #10CM19952020-05-24 21:05

    That's been our experience John. I purposely set on the sidelines from 2012 to 2016 and let the technology sort itself out. My experience has been it has.

  11. #11AzIron2020-05-24 21:28

    I have been really cheap and reused the 2 gallon jugs but then me and dad are the only one that handles them I can get def at half the price at the fuel depo were I fill all my transfer tanks anyway as of yet it has not caused me an issue if i had a few employees maybe it would be different Cat has had hell with def system on there backhoes compared to deere in my experience everyone i know running a new 420 has had a pump or injector replacement 2 or 3 times that's one reason we went deere I personally had to cat rental machines that ate an exhaust manifold due to def pump problems i was told they changed parts suppliers and have not been having problems with the new run of parts

  12. #1292U 34062020-05-24 23:07

    You'd think for how common Cat has DEF pump failures that they'd keep the dang things close by. Had a packer sit in the yard for over 2 weeks waiting on a DEF pump. Nearest one was overseas somewhere. ***?

  13. #13AzIron2020-05-24 23:32

    That seems to be the norm here as well always 2 to 3 days away

  14. #1492U 34062020-05-24 23:50

    Its frustrating as hell sometimes. I mean I ordered up cylinder kits for a FOURTY year old CAT engine and I had them in half the time as the DEF pump.