Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody ever see a 10 on ice?

Deere9670 ยท 2008-08-15 09:57

I would say that he aint gonna make it, but it looks like he had fun trying! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eacw_zCCo&feature=related

Replies37
  1. #1HeyUvaVT2008-08-15 10:52

    hahahaha now THATS some figure skating I could watch!

  2. #2alan627b2008-08-15 15:06

    Did that on a 627 when a frozen haul road thawed out......it wasn't fun!

  3. #3MKTEF2008-08-15 16:15

    It's fun to watch, but newer funny when u have your but in the seat. It's happening in a split second, and u are not in controll. Gravity sends u down the hill, and u bether hope u don't have to much speed when reaching solid ground. Some guy's have turned their machines on the side this way. When u have problems with ice on the roads, u unload your exc and track it up the hill. Can be funny, trick is to have your bucket in the ditch holding back/pulling up on the steepest spots. Did that one winter with a 330 and a hammer on, not so funny when u start sliding and dont get the hammer rammed into the ground....:cool2

  4. #4brandt pc4002008-08-15 16:21

    I did the same thing in a 325bl cat yea not fun who do you work for alan627b?

  5. #595zIV2008-08-15 20:06

    I was 13 or 14 when I slid just a couple of feet sideways on a case 450. It wasn't much and I stopped when I hit the driveway I was uphill of but it was some scary(of course that might have had to do with my uncles truck that was parked in the driveway beside where the dozer came to rest). I thought my dad was gonna fall over he was laughing at me so hard because of the way my eyes got .

  6. #6biggixxerjim2008-08-15 20:07

    anyone else here think this is borderline abusive?? If not downright careless??

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-08-15 20:17

    Abusive???? Careless???? Just Plain Stoopid????? Hi, Biggixxerjim. Yes, I could agree with you there without a lot of stress. Even way down here in sunny Queensland, DownUnder, I've heard of ice caulks on track grousers. King of Obsolete calls 'em 'high heels' for crawlers. LOL.

  8. #8biggixxerjim2008-08-15 20:44

    I mean the first attempt at the hill is understandable, but the second is just idiocy.

  9. #9Dozerboy2008-08-15 21:45

    I was digging out a pile for the bridge demo I did. I had myself benched down 8' or so and then had dig down 25' more around the pile. I was well below sea level 10' from the bay and the hole the caving in at a good rate. The boss wanted me to track out until the crane was ready to come over and hook onto the pile to pull it out. I was consurned about having to track back down there since it was steep since we where every limited on room. I had to track over my spoils to get out. When it was time to go back I slid off the spoil pile and all the way down in the wet clay. Stopped broad side to the 25' drop with 2' to go until that 50 ton hoe and I would of been a sishcabob. I watched a truck driver slide a newer 320 off a ice covered trailer beck and roll it into a ditch.

  10. #10d6peg2008-08-15 21:45

    I agree Biggixxerjim, Looks like an expensive toy.

  11. #11qball2008-08-15 22:12

    it's all fun and games till someone gets runned over by a 10.lol.

  12. #12OCR2008-08-15 22:12

    Should be some loggers that pipe up on this one... Might even here something about... go-en' for a ride... ... :laugh In this area... every body usually called them " ice grips... or ice cleats "... and most used piece's of flat iron, round rod, or even re-bar... welded to the top of the grouser. I think you can see them on the King's cats, on some of his pictures he posted... might even be able to see what's left of them on some of the pics. I posted in the wildland fire fighter dozer thread. OCR

  13. #13Deas Plant2008-08-15 23:15

    Ice cleats Hi, OCR. Yep, even a dumb nobody from DownUnder like me who has never EVER had to take a tracked machine out on ice can figure the value of having the weight of the machine concentrated on a MUCH smaller area in those sorts of situations. If memory serves me right, KoO's recipe is: 1 ice caulk in the middle of 1 grouser, 2 towards the ends of the next grouser, alternating all the way around the track chain, so that the caulks/cleats are in a staggered pattern.

  14. #14RollOver Pete2008-08-15 23:28

    Wow... I bet his boss is proud of him. There's a reason that he has his ripper up and his dozer tube locked. He's posing Lay one over and you'll change the way you dance. Way to go Hollywood.

  15. #15surfer-joe2008-08-16 00:04

    I've used various methods to weld stuff on grousers to help prevent sliding on ice or frozen earth, none ever last long because of the nature of the beast you know. Bolts, nuts, rebar, pieces of old cutting edge or some 1" blocks of steel. They all get torn off or worn off pretty quick. Cats will slide easy on mud, permafrost, ice, slick or wet clay, and rock. It's really not a fun feeling when you are in the seat. Visions of a track catching an edge and tipping over come to mind. The dumber people in this video were in the car at the bottom taking the pictures. That Cat would have made mincemeat out of the car had it slid into it. I watched a old D9H slide into our company Suburban in Colorado one winter. Our clerk was getting some clutch time when he skated off a 25 or 30 foot incline right into the left side of the Surburban. It dented everything on that side and broke out all the windows. Neither door would open, and we had to drive that thing back to town that night in temperatures around 10 degrees above zero F. You know, duct tape doesn't stick worth a damn in cold weather like that, and the plastic sheeting we tried using to cover the holes wouldn't stay in place without the tape. It was a long, slow, and very cold ride home. I watched a new D9L slide down hill about a mile on that same job. The operator figured he could keep one track in the snow bank and make her down to his work area. Well, he couldn't. He was lucky that he didn't fall off the side of the road he was on. That would have been about a 2500 foot tumble nearly straight down. The other lucky thing was that he was going down "dozer" first. When he figured out that putting the blade down only increased his speed, he thought to stick his ripper down. That slowed him down some, but more importantly, it kept him from spinning like the Cat in this video and he was able to stay on the road, even though the ripper tip didn't get much penetration. We stayed up there on that job then for 24 hours welding everything we could get our hands on to the grousers of all the dozers on the project, about 25 or 30 of them. That became a daily job for some of us for nearly a month. We also put tire chains on all the Cat 777B haul trucks there for the same reason. These chains were custom built and cost about 1500 bucks each. The early ones weren't very sturdy and quickly busted. They were lying all about the place. The newer ones were much better, and very, very heavy. It took a tire truck to lift them in place and one set covered both rear duals on one side. (Had to take the rock-knockers off you see) We kept the chains on for about three months and even the newer ones kept a couple of guys busy all day long making repairs and putting busted ones back on. Not to mention repairing all the damage the chains did to the brake, transmission, and hydraulic lines in that area. It was tough to kep them tight. We had some big Cat excavators on the job and welded crap on their track shoes too. They didn't move about as much as the dozers and the stuff we welded on lasted longer. It was still rough for them to go up or down hill, particularly on the roads as the frost was deep in the roadways and very slick. Quite often we hooked a big tow cable from an excavator to a Cat and pulled or towed them like that. Sometimes the two machines still tangled up. I don't care if I ever have to experience a winter again!

  16. #16trainwreck2008-08-16 00:11

    when i was working on a mud slide over the winter i got put on the road crew for a few weeks and our job was to keep 20 miles of icey hell roads open we did this with 3 jd 850 dozers and 3 graders a brand new 872 d jd and 2 140 cat graders. there was e few spots on the road that were 22% grade. i was taking the last clean up pass on the steep corner and the second the right corner of the blade hit the ground i was going for a loop right there on a 25ft wide road, luckly the corner of the blade held good and i spun around and pilled into the snow bank on the high side of the road. that is where i sat for about 5 or 10 min trying to quit shaking enough to finish the road. not a right i want to do again EVER

  17. #17trainwreck2008-08-16 00:25

    here is a pic sorry for the small pic but that is looking out the right side of the jd 850

  18. #18OCR2008-08-16 05:37

    Ice grips or Ice cleats: Another Willie Fire picture: ice grips... if you look hard, you can see the one's I welded on. I used 3/4 inch cold roll... about 2 and 3/4 inches long... 2 per pad...right in line with the bolt holes. These had been on over a year, and the rocks on this fire more or less finished them... although I do credit them with reducing some shock loading to the undercarriage. The staggered pattern that KoO uses is more typical and uses less material and less welding time, and I usually used it... of course, there are various theory's for materal, size, type, and pattern... as always... ... OCR

  19. #19jimmyjack2008-08-16 15:37

    the first i could understand,even the second one, but the third its time to call it a day or geta different piece of equipment

  20. #20Deas Plant2008-08-16 17:46

    Posing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi, Folks. Personally, I reckon RollOverPete nailed it back in post #15. This galah is posing. The thought had also occurred to me that putting the ripper down would have stopped a lot of that skating around, which is why it ISN'T down. Even I had figured that out and I'm only warm-climate ice-virgin from DownUnder with NO experience of ice at all. For mine, there are a few clowns there, not just the 'aimer' of the D10. Just my 0.02.

  21. #21Jck642008-08-16 18:04

    Use your ripper when you get in a spot like that. Back up as far as you can, then set the ripper in, if you can. Proper ripping technigue in a 10 should get the job done. Then you should be able to back up the spot that was ripped. Works for me in the snow and ice.

  22. #22N.CarolinaDozer2008-08-16 23:10

    :IMO I don't care if they where goofing off or seriously trying to work? I would have not been a the bottom of that hill filming that dozer coming at me like that!

  23. #239420pullpan2008-08-17 17:06

    looks like fun

  24. #24alan627b2008-08-18 00:52

    Answer to Brandt I work for the "junk merchants" aka Negus and Sons, aka Sanford and Sons, Excavating!

  25. #25JDOFMEMI2008-08-18 01:15

    Funny the were playing "Hiway to hell" in the video. Should be more like hiway to the unemployment line. Anyone without any more sense than that should never be set loose in a million dollar machine

  26. #26Dozer5752008-08-18 19:56

    Its more like either an inexperienced operator just showing off some, or some kids that knew enough to get it going and play around. An experienced operator would not be doing that with the blade all the way up. I sure wouldn't.

  27. #27biggixxerjim2008-08-18 22:26

    I bet a Komatsu would have made it up...:shf

  28. #28CascadeScaper2008-08-19 00:51

    Uh oh... opcorn

  29. #29OCR2008-08-19 02:58

    .... ... :lmao OCR.... opcorn

  30. #30Sharky2008-08-21 01:37

    Good action, but the jackass should have at least had the blade low. We always welded ice grousers onto the track pads for winter work. Though they are hell on lowboy and barge decks,they work great on ice. I have had a few close ones over the years, the worse being, I was moving a 235 D up a logging road one time and even being chained up, it broke free Cliff on one side, ditch on the other. I luckily got pulled into the ditch. Unloaded the machine and I got going again, but the boss had a hell of a time getting the hoe the rest of the way up the hill. Even if you have done something MANY times, dont always mean your going to make it. Better safe than sorry. That guy on the 10:Banghead

  31. #31imabigdave2008-08-21 22:58

    That reminded me of following a trail that a neighbor with an old D8-2U cable blade had cut with my D5B with 24 inch pads....I hit a patch of bedrock and faster than I could *$(% my pants I'd slid sidehill, bouncing as the tracks were trying to grab. That was my first lesson in why wide tracks are not always preferable. I don't think it bothered the D8 in the slightest.

  32. #32registered user2008-08-22 11:51

    I can't believe management would allow this, if MSHA ever got wind of this... I worked in a quarry also, when the haul roads where slick, we would spread product that we made, safety first.

  33. #33AtlasRob2008-08-22 16:11

    Now that did make me smile, I've worked with guys like you before. Just remember,............. what goes around comes around. :spongebob

  34. #34biggixxerjim2008-08-23 16:16

    Well, that was more of a stab at a certain member of this forum..... Im just shocked Deas hasnt had anything to add to it......

  35. #3595zIV2008-08-23 16:24

    Or a oval track cat

  36. #36OCR2008-08-23 17:12

    :stirthepot :stirthepot opcorn.... OCR

  37. #37Deas Plant2008-08-23 18:49

    On adding something to it. Hi, Biggixxerjim. May I suggest that you check your private messages. I have sent you a PM and explained my position re the 'gentleman' concerned. I don't think he'd like the explanation but that's his problem, not mine.