Does anyone have the new Dodge 5500 or Sterling Bullet in there fleet? I have one on order but the truck isn't available i Canada yet. But they have been on the lots in the US for 5 weeks now. If you have one, pls give me your review. I have ordered a Sterling bullet> quadcab, 4x4, 84inch cab to axle. I will be installing a Ampliroll AL90S hooklift. This truck has 19,500GVW and weighs only 7800Pounds even with the 4x4. I look forward to the 6.7 Cummins!
So, you decided not to go with the international. Are you going to use a trailer also? Those trucks look nice I might get one in about a year to replace my f-450. I have been very busy but I will get you those pictures of the hook setup in the next few days. Thanks Brenden
Brenden, Still thinking of the international. Thanks again for that information Brenden!! I decided to go with this truck unless someone tells me I am crazy! and yes I am going to purchase a 14 or 16 ft deckover to haul a 2nd or 4th bin(nested). Here's my math 7800 truck 1680 Hooklift 750 fluids& fenders 2800 15 yard container 13030 Total minus the 19500 GVW gives me 6470pds of legal payload I have averaged out my dump weights for this year and other than for concrete or dirt I would be legal 99% of the time. I am going to sell my rock box and have a smaller box made 10x5x2 so I can't get overloaded. I am going to continue to grow my bus until there's enough demand for a larger truck then I will use the Sterling for delivering bins and picking up the smaller loads.
I would check over at the diesel garage you can get all the info on the new motors, and I think a couple of guys might have a 45/5500. The Diesel Garage
Hey, Bret no problem. 2800 15 yard container The only thing I see is maybe your a little off on your container weight but if your doing tubs than that would explain it. Mine are in the 3200 range. With 6400 in payload you should be good to go. I think average for my loads is about 3500. It's the dirt and concrete that kills us. How big is your concrete bin now? Thanks Brenden
Brenden, I mostly use tubs(2800ish pounds). My rock bin is 12x8x 21"sides. This is a great bin it was made for dual lift, d-rings and a coal chute in the back door, but I will have to go with a smaller bin for the new truck. hvy 1ton> thanks for the link it sounds like everyone loves there truck but there is alot of cunfusion and frustration the the "flash" updates for the computer that is giving some owners varying fuel milleage. The 08's seem to be doing better as the dealers get on-board with the new motor. Thanks again! Bret
No problem. I have been through that section a lot lately. The most important part of the new motors, they need to been run hard to keep the dpf clean, and all kinds of other stuff. You shouldn't have any problem at all with your application.
So far I have only dumped two 10 yard cans which came in at 1.2 tons for each, and two 20 yard cans one at 1.6 tons and the other at 1.2 tons. I can see how it could be done with a F-550 and a small hook. Any updates.
Bins> funny you should post today, because I am debating my next move in the bin business. I did order the 19,500 gvw Sterling bullet from our loacal dealer. The truck was supposed to be here last month (nov), but just like the dodge 5500 they are late. Dealers here just staring getting a few 5500 reg cabs in the past week. I have only been overloaded a couple of times but I think as I learn more that it is avoidable. My debate is to go with the 5500 and smaller hook or go with the same truck that "6DoubleDuece" bought which is a 39K gvw 2003 intnational 7400 with a 20k stellar. Pic posted below . The debate is oboiusly the gvw,the hook weight (12,500), the hook height Mine (36") and other (54") I would have to change all my bins to larger 54"hook height. Sterling would cost 75k with a new hook (warranty) and the international 55K. The international is tough as nails and specied for the highway dept(heavy duty). These are obviously night and day comparissons but I am debating the bigger question which is where my business is at and where do I want it to be. If I buy the 5500 I will drive it as my everyday truck. the internatonal would be a dedicated work truck. The differnce being is I would get rid of a car payment and go to one Insurance payment. I wouldn't have to go to the yard to get my truck before picking up a bin and I could always add a larger truck down the road. The flip side is I will be the one driving the truck and not be moving to a full time driver as a business model and giving up the business that I might be able to get with a heavier lift Concrete, dirt, roofing. I have always survivied in business by keeping low overhead and staying innovative. I debate the pros and cons all day, I have made list and changed my mind every couple of days. If that sterling truck showed up today it would be over but until then I still debate.... Bins glad to hear the weights aren't too much, keeps the costs down for everybody
I understand your debate. I still question myself on my choice. I did not want to go over 33k gvw b.c then we have to pay a 12% FET when we buy the truck. Right now my F-750 is only getting 7.5 mpg. Diesel is going for $3.25.
I'll let you know which route I go when the time comes. I am leaning towards the Sterling, but time will tell. "6DoubleDuece" says he's getting around 9mpg on the international >guys on the diesel forums seem to be reporting as low as 10 and as high as 19mpg on their 6.7 cummins. The only other option is to go to a hino, but you seem to pay one way or another! Hey Bins! Since you are just getting started I'll share with you my best promotional investment yet. I have tried advertising and flyers but I ordered these from a company in North Carolina and I give them out to the crews when i drop a bin (a good handfull) costs me about 12 cents each. So for a few bucks each time... you wound't believe the miles those pencils have traveled...
dont know anyone w/one but have been hearing good things about the 6.7
Hey Brett, Things have been crazy these last few weeks! As far as the truck debate goes, What truck and lift are you running now? Thanks Brenden
sounds like a nice setup
Where did you get those pencils? The ones I see online are going for about 23 cents each.
Sorry bins Hey Bins, Sorry to just get back to you now but here is the link to the pencil printer.. http://www.carolinapens.com/cape.html http://www.carolinapens.com/cape.html and thanks to 6DoubleDuece for sending me some great information thanks "Brendan" Bret
Did those pencils work out really well for you? How many did you order? Trying to decide how many I want.
Bins, I started with 2500 and gave then out 3-5 at a time. Figuring they get passed around, dropped and re-used. If it didn't leed to direct calls then it al least got my name out and remembered. How mant times would a carpenter/builder/drywaller look at there pencil in a given day/week/month. That pencil may not be around when it's time to order a bin but they will likely remember your name. Just watch the shipping charges on the pencils they were 30 pounds per box. How are things going for you? Have you been able to take the time to sell your product or are you still buried in trying to run the basics of the business? I have found it hard to get out there and sell, when things slow down I am busy just catching up. Any way hope things are good, I know how much work it is and what's on the line.
Mini Bin Just read your post on the Sterling truck option, personally I would get a 5500 over the 4500 price wise there close, and going up to 26K over 19 is alot. but maybe its my feeling of bigger is better syndrom... So I read you web site, and have been reading this thread. I would really like to learn more about your bisness and how it is working out with the smaller truck. Which market area do you focus on? I see you have a concrete box do you find that it isn't big enough? Do you haul dirt? Would love to see some of your rates. I'm just South of you in WA state, and have been contimplating getting a hooklift but at the other extream in size.... my dream truck is a tandom axle maybe with a drop. I have an excavation buisness, and have been thinking of using a drop box to haul my skid steer and min ex, but to do that I need a tandom, and then I could allways get a trailer for even larger equipment. So truck would be hauling, boxes, and maybe something else.. Thanks Dave
No dodge here, but I can tell you that I would not buy a coil sprung Ford 4wd F450 or F550. I drive an 05 F550 4X4 with a box and workshop inside, weighs about 14,900. GVW is 18,XXX. At work we have a fleet of these trucks, all of the 04's that have a leaf sprung front end. The leaf sprung trucks don't have a very tight turning radius, but they handle very well at freeway speeds. The coil sprung 05 F550's and newer are HORRIBLE on the freeway. The trucks are very sensitive to ridges in the roadway, there is a section of I5 that I travel at least once a week where I can get a full lane line to lane line death wobble, so I travel that section in the passing lane. It is far worse when I have my studded snow tires on, in the summer I run grooved Yokohama's in the front just to keep me on the road. The other thing is that the Powerstroke 6.0 does all sorts of strange things, it keeps on running however. I think you made a good choice with the dodge.
When I was looking for a new truck last year it was between the f450 and ram 4500. My buddy has a ford 6.0 that has been nothing but trouble after 25,000 miles and ford has refused to warranty the problems. So I decided on the dodge but ended up getting a 3500 because I had a hard time justifying the extra money and rough ride, fuel mileage etc. of the heavier truck. I really like my one ton but I have been having some minor problems with the 6.7 when the DPF starts to get restricted. I hear the aftermarket companys are producing something that will fool the computer into thinking everything is normal even after you cut the DPF out, Which is something I will probably do when they are available.
Don't have one, but here's a few pics from Conexpo. Hope this helps....Serling/Dodge, a 3500 (I think) and a cutaway of the nwe big Cummins. There were just too many people and too little time to get as many pics as I'd have like to. Maybe next year...
We have been building them now for the past couple of months. Biggest problem is the transmission PTO application. It sits right above the exhaust and is EXTREMELY TIGHT. Lots of 4 letter words were used in the installation. Also, with the PTO so close to the exhaust we are a little worried about overheating. I will take some pictures and post for you.
Here are pictures of the PTO setup. It is a little hard to get your bearings on the angle, but you should be able to figure it out.
Here is the finished product
Nice ute. Too late for you now but here's a hint for anyone else building service trucks. Access doors should hinge from the top and be supported by nitrogen cylinders (common nowdays). This gives shade for working under & when locating your next tools and also rain protection for your expensive equipment.... C ya..........Ray
How would you see in the tool box with a big lid over it and where are you going to lay your tools out while you use them before you put them back. Looks good to me.
I found out that Dodge has "made it easier" to access and install the PTO and pump on the 5500's. Now you only have to remove the front seat and pull up the flooring to expose an access panel. This panel is on every 5500 built after Jan 1st 2008. Doesent really matter much considering it is just as much a pain in the *** as removing the exhaust. Oh well..
minibins would love to know about your 5500. how it is working out and how the service has been? did your breaks strart to make noise early?
looks like theyre trying to compete with the F550's, I borrowed a 550 mason dump from a friend and I was pretty impressed as it had about an 8,000lb payload, with the 19.5k gvw the thing was about 10000lbs empty on the scale when i went to weigh it at the plant. Im used to mason dumps having a 4000lb payload
Has anyone ever tried out the hooklift trailers for pickups. I m trying to figure if it is feasable to use a hooklift 5th wheel trailer pulled behind ford 3500 or 4500. I do not have a big business, and if I had the trailer the truck could still be used for personal, and my other work. Also has anyone seen an ISO hook lift truck. It is a standard hooklift system on a single axle truck but has the extra rack behind the cab that some how connects to the hook when you need it to to lift 20 foot shipping containers?