I got an old Hitachi ZX 40 UR (Grey Market machine, about 5 ton) and apparently got a leak at the hydraulic final drive sprocket, and disintegrated the main bearing. Could only go an inch or two in each direction so was stuck in the field on this one. I opened the 3 "drain" plugs on the outside face of the hub cylinder and nothing but dirt came out so the seal at the frame must have went bad and lost all the gear oil. My bad for sure but took the track and sprocket off and tried to pull off the cylinder drum but it was all jammed up with broken ball bearing material but eventially worked them all out but the drum still won't come off. So looked inside the middle drain plug and there was a 4MM Allen bolt that apparently was holding the drum from coming out. Then things got interesting. The Allen hole had rounded off corners and I could not get it out and only had the aprox 1" diamer hole to work with.. OK, I figured I would just need to go the "Easy Out" way, went to Lowe's and got their kit plus an extra 1/8 drill bit that the salesman said was the hardest bit they had, harder than cobalt, titaniuim etc. That is where I hit the brick wall. The bits would not even begin to nick this bolt which must be a grade "super" eight bolt!! I then tried to take off the aprox 8" diameter face cover using a dent puller and heating up the rim and doing a lot of light tapping around the circle but this thing won't budge.. Any suggestions on these issues? I am dead in the water till I get this apart and get the big bearing so I am on the road again. I did throw some used motor oil inside the drum and now the drum turns just fine in both directions with no noise but obviously I need to get the new bearing in. Thanks
Carbide drill bits. They drill through just about anything. Just don't let them chatter or they can be destroyed. You won't find these at a local store.
Thanks Muncher of Trees. After doing some research on this project it looks like this project is above my pay grade so I removed the Final Drive and will be sending it into a shop that specializes in rebuilding these critters
Also I have used carbide end mills to remove broken cobalt taps in the past. But then it was a 200,000 or more $ horizontal CNC machining center, yeah a 10-32 tap in a stainless part, worked great and took a bit of time, no we didn't have an EDM to do it.
McMaster Carr has carbide tipped drill bits. They are a lot more forgiving than carbide bits for hand drilling.