Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody know anything about safety switch on Case 1085C CruzAir wheeled excavator?

ETMF 58 White ยท 2015-08-19 19:09

Some guys starting a new mine/quarry that I am hauling some equipment for have purchased a Case 1085C, apparently in as-is, where-is condition, from a dealer. The machine will start and run, but won't operate because (according to the dealer) the cable that operates the master hydraulic safety switch is frozen. I have not seen the machine, but I am assuming that this is something similar to the safety lever that we are all familiar with on regular excavators. I am not thrilled about hauling this piece (pos, possibly?) without being able to move it, swing it, position it on the trailer to axle out the weights, unload it in case of trouble, etc. The dealer does not want to fix it for them (I smell a rat in that) but the dealer says it will roll and he can push it on my RGN trailer. The new owners can pull it off with their dozer. The new owners said they will pay me for mechanic work if I can get it to operate. A retired Case mechanic here says he can't remember the details of the machine, but he said it might not even be possible to obtain a new cable. Does anyone on here know what it would take to gain access to the switch/valve/whatever, disconnect the cable, and move the switch manually? Or could this even be done? I won't have my service truck with me, only my haul truck and whatever tools I take along.

Replies4
  1. #1John C.2015-08-19 23:04

    I don't remember any hydraulic lock out cable on those machines. Only rocker switches and that messy great big swivel. It is three swivels put together with air coming up the middle, electric outside of that and hydraulic outside of that. Air worked the throttle and brakes, electric worked the engine start and stop, outrigger controls and hydraulic valve shift to supply oil to the outriggers. Hydraulic oil was piped from the pumps direct to the swivel and up to the house where the control valves were. Steering was its own circuit with an orbital valve in the cab and a cross over valve to change the direction the wheels turned in relation to the steering wheel when traveling backwards. That's about all I remember as it's been thirty years since I had the pleasure of oil showers and nasty electrical issues with that #### swivel. I agree with your thoughts on trying to move the machine, especially if the steering and brakes don't work. It's a ways to the ground if you tip off the trailer.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-08-19 23:59

    The 1085C has hydraulic brakes it looks like. Throttle works off of a master cylinder. I agree no cable, all electric lockouts. The main pumps drive off the back of the torque converter so I think the first thing I would do is lay eyeballs on the driveshaft between the torque and the transmisison, make sure it's spinning when the engine is. If it will roll the spring applied driveshaft parking brake on the rear axle is either kaput or rendered inop so it will roll. I seem to recall that back when they said Drott on the side they did have a big cable controlled spool valve that dumped main oil back to tank, but I could be wrong.

  3. #3grvlpt2020-05-03 07:24
  4. #4grvlpt2020-05-03 07:24

    did you ever get it repaired?