Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody mount a diesel transfer tank like an underbody box?

Tags ยท 2015-12-02 19:13

I have an F550 with a dumping flatbed, I currently have my diesel transfer tank mounted in the bed and have been pushing my luck with it there since I tend to load the truck with material once in a while and the day will arrive when a sharp rock rolls into it and punctures it. I want to mount a tank under the flatbed to the frame rail like an underbody box or a side mount fuel tank but want it to be secure and am looking for pics or suggestions from anybody that's done it. Thanks in advance.....

Replies1
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-12-02 20:20

    I mounted a pair of old 20 gallon LP tanks, one on each side between the cab and the duels on my F-550. I placed a 1 inch line accross the bottom tying them together and a 1/2 vent line accross the top between them. I lift up a floor plate and stick my 12 volt pump on the 2" fitting or if not hauling on the bed I leave the pump setting there. Its a little small in capacity but its always along and I can use it for reserve road fuel also to give me more range to make the cheaper stations when traveling across country. I can fill or use the pump from either side. The one inch line equalizes plenty fast. EDIT: I bought my tanks at an RV business estate auction for $15.00 for the pair with another oddball tank. They had the frame rail mounts on them yet.