Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody own an IH model 3960R 4X4 rubber tired excavator?

LowBoy ยท 2013-02-24 08:21

I have the chance to buy an IH 3960R all wheel drive rubber tired excavator, with a set of 4 buckets and a mechanical thumb, and a wrist-o-twist with a Deutz diesel, and was just wondering if anyone has had or still has one in their fleet? This one is in good shape, used in a small scrap yard for years to load trucks with. I would use it around the farm for various projects myself, no commercial use at all. The clutch cable is broken, no big deal. Anyone have any information pertaining to one of these beasts, (i.e; weight, age if I provide serial #, etc...?) and tell me about what they should be worth? Thanks in advance.

Replies11
  1. #1LowBoy2013-02-26 06:53

    No replies yet? I did a little research and found this machine is a French import. "Yumbo" is the name I found. I'd love to find someone that knows a little (or a lot) about this unit before I pull the trigger.

  2. #2Cat_man3202013-02-26 21:30

    They are basically the same as a 3964 track excavator cept for the booms and its rubber tired. I know for several scrapped up here in newfoundland . Yes they are french and are metric . I'm guessing the year as somewhere around 76-79. I wouldn't invest too much unless you have the knowledge and a place in the event of a major repair . The hyd. pump is a simple two block pump that runs off the crank pulley just above the counterweight. valve body is simple also . the swing gear drive motor is same as track machine . I just sold a brand new hyd. pump to fit that machine for $500.00.

  3. #3LowBoy2013-02-28 03:12

    That's a fair evaluation, and yes I have the knowledge and place to deal with any tragedies that might occur. Main thing is, it's cheap enough for me to have hanging around to use as a crane, or for an occasional small job around the property here...not going to use it very hard or often at all. Thanks for the reply Cat_man!

  4. #4LowBoy2013-03-04 04:04

    Looks like I'm headed down to do a little tinkering on this machine next Saturday. Gotta replace the battery master switch, and she will fire right up according to the owner now. I'll get it up to temp., run it for a while, and make a decision whether or not to be a serious buyer. If it's all OK, it should be a good deal for what I want it for.

  5. #5JIM VILARDI2013-03-04 08:16

    I have worked for the dealership that reps the old IH excavators, and yes they were from France known as Yumbo. you would be hard pressed to get ANY parts, let alone for a rubber tired machine. In all my years....never saw one till now.

  6. #6LowBoy2013-03-04 19:35

    I've seen the tracked machines quite a lot years ago. This is definitely the first rubber tired one I've come across as well. The good news is, It's got a Deutz which is common and easy to deal with. Anything such as a pump, etc. might be a challenge, but let's hope that won't be a problem. Anything else, I just have to break out the torches, welder, sledgehammer, grinders, and make it fit.

  7. #7JIM VILARDI2013-03-05 08:10

    I would have to say that the biggest problem you would encounter would be the drive line axles. Spend a little time on her, clean her up and change all the fluids and filters.

  8. #8LowBoy2013-03-07 05:02

    I'll do that JIM, thanks for the advice. Nice to get it from somebody that has had some contact with what I'm dealing with directly!

  9. #9behive2013-03-18 04:06

    There's one for sale on Trademe in NZ

  10. #10LowBoy2013-09-11 05:59

    FYI: I passed on this old gal....just didn't need something I would have to fabricate everything for at the present time...

  11. #11JIM VILARDI2013-09-11 08:00

    Smart move.... ..there's plenty of other junk out there that's more currrent...LOL..