Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anybody parting out a 975 bobcat?

jason975 ยท 2011-11-23 17:50

I'm in need of a left side reduction gearcase for a 975 with brakes (s/n 12001 and up) If anyone has one or knows of one please hook me up, I've tried a buttload of salvage yards to no avail and bcat wants an arm and a leg for the new gears.

Replies14
  1. #1INDREM2011-11-28 21:30

    Machinerytrader.com > find parts & attachments > bobcat > 975 Looks like Cook equipment shows having one. Sometimes I have luck with these guys. This is going to be a difficult part to find.

  2. #2jason9752011-11-29 22:40

    already barked up that tree, it shows they have one, but i e-mailed them and they actually dont, i'm wondering if a box off a 970 or 974 will work

  3. #3jason9752011-12-04 16:38

    does anybody know if a 970 or 974 reduction gearcase will fit into a 975Bobcat?

  4. #4Reel hip2011-12-06 18:38

    Sorry not too sure. I had mine open years ago. I thought they were pretty much the same with the exception being in the motor. Nice machine though worth getting it back to work.

  5. #5jason9752011-12-06 21:51

    Yeah i think I'm going to have to call the dealer on this one..

  6. #6FNick2011-12-07 00:57

    Think you're gonna have to call your dealer, which is too bad cause they'll probably charge a lot for a simple replacement.

  7. #7jason9752011-12-09 22:39

    well got the box all apart, the big gears ok, the input shaft was 837, and found a used reduction gear for 825, much better than bobcat can do. Goes to show you a machine from '81, given up on and dubbed hopeless scrap can be resurrected from the dead for cheap. Machine was free and i got about 2500 bucks invested and its gunna work just fine. Thanks for the help everyone

  8. #8Reel hip2011-12-13 16:40

    Great job on the machine. Those 900's were work horses.I had 2 974's and a 980. I could move alot of dirt with them and they were built heavy. I later got a 963 and used it with the hoe, (811) same one I used on my 863. It had tons more hp but,just did,nt seem to run like my 974's did.

  9. #9MRRPM2011-12-14 20:13

    Yes, the 970, 974, 975, 980, and 1080's are essentially the same machine. The 970's came with a Continental gas engine, 974, 975, 980, and 1080's came with a Perkins diesel, I think. The 1080's were feller bunchers, and had planets in the wheel hubs. I'm going from memory, correct me if I'm wrong on some points.

  10. #10jason9752011-12-14 20:58

    my 975 has an 82hp Deere 4276d, I'm thinking of converting it to a 4276t, just needs 2 deg. more advance, and a little more number 2, and a half decent turbo. they make 140 hp.

  11. #11MRRPM2011-12-14 21:26

    Yes! I forgot about the Deere motored machines! It's been 20yrs.

  12. #12Reel hip2011-12-16 17:30

    Yes great machines!!!! My 974's and 980 had the Perkins motor. By the way the 980 was planetary drive. Anybody ever run the 943? I thought that one was a POS

  13. #13MRRPM2011-12-16 23:07

    943's were ok, I had one, big & slow, slow as a 970 series, but not as strong. Both the 970 series, and the 943's had servo driven hydrostats. I hated those, they had like a delayed reaction in the steering, you could move the control levers, a second later they would move. It was supposed to be like power steering, but I am no fan. The 963 machines were better, never had one, but they were supposed to have straight steering controls. The 963 had a standard quick attach, unlike the 943, which was a family of it's own. The 970 series also had a quick attach of their own, those that had one.

  14. #14Reel hip2011-12-18 12:18

    Glad you mentioned the bobtach system. I forgot that. When I bought my 963 all my other buckets for the older machines didn't fit the new machine, so another tooth and smooth was needed . A plus was the forks and hoe and breaker were interchangeable with my 863 though.