Furd discontinued the stock tank on my 1999 F550, and it was only 37 gallons, aft behind the diff. Looking at a side tank hung on the frame rail instead, like a bigger truck. I know I've seen that on chassis cab trucks before (Ford 450/550, Dodge 4500/5500) So far I only found these guys, and they had no F550 application listed. https://www.metaltanks.com/products/fuel-tanks
Use their :designer program to design one?
I bought a plastic tank for mine several years ago, I don't remember the name of the company though. Direct replacement for the stock tank. Try Google. If I have some spare time I'll try it too.
Well that was easy..... https://www.ebay.com/i/371203892153...w4BZWqWhEfSPd3qwgPgOmi6WJ-u3jV6EaAisUEALw_wcB
wow $$$ they sure are proud of it. On my 06 F550 I had to replace the tank twice due to the lining coming off. Of coarse Ford did nothing and said it wasn't their fault the EPA changed the diesel fuel since the truck was built and the "new fuel" was dissolving the liner
That's the best lead yet, thank you. And I have the 6-bolt tank version. I might just stick with that then add 100g at the front of the bed gravity tank.
My 2000 F550 diesel tank also separated internally a number of years ago. I had my local welding shop build me one ($375.00) out of 12 gauge steel. Turned out to be 46 gallons . I sloped it 3 inches to the front so its just above the bottom of the pumpkin. The $1,800 price tag From the dealer at that time was nuts. The only critical part was getting the fill tube stub measured correctly to come thru the frame hole and then having it the right length to get it in there and still be able to have it stick out enough to get a clamp on the fill hose. I went with a after market gauge as the ohms were completely different with trying o use the factory one. So far so good.
$560 looks like a deal after I paid a welder to build me a new tank and the idiot thought that the tankage above the fill tube counted for something......Pretty hard to get the fuel into a horizontal fill tube and make it stay in that 4-5" of tank that's above the tube ..... There's probably only 8 useable gallons since the pickup is further from the bottom. The cab is too rusty to pass inspection even though the truck only has 60k miles on it so it doesn' t really matter.
Well that one won't fit my truck after all. It's a 40gal tank and it's not the same shape as the 37gal tank in my truck. So I'm going to inspect mine closely, run it and monitor fuel filters closely . But the good news is that this fleabay seller you suggested is working on a SS version for my truck, some day soon. https://www.ebay.com/i/371203892153...w4BZWqWhEfSPd3qwgPgOmi6WJ-u3jV6EaAisUEALw_wcB
I had an '01 F350 and '02 F550 cab & chassis, both used the same tank and both tanks delaminated inside, the galvanizing flaked off. I got the same answer from Ford, poor fuel and that's when I found this tank I listed. I had snowplowing contracts and both trucks acted up while out plowing at different times. Limped them home at about 2mph running on what sounded like 4 cylinders. It took a while to figure out what was wrong the first time and I did figure out how to disassembled the fuel sender and clean the screens, I bet there was a quarter cup of zinc flakes clogging it. When I bought this tank it was listed as a direct replacement for those years and fits fine, I would figure yours is the same.
Seems that my truck, built in 1998. has an oddball 37gal tank that Furd only used for a year. Titan Tanks and the guy from the fleabay link both said this. I might be able to cobble it up. But for now I'm just checking the inside carefully then running it if it's not scaling off in there. All diesel seems to be some percentage of biodiesel these days. I wish I could time travel and get AlGore's dad to become a monk in Tibet.
I can't imagine the frames are different between years, you might be able to make this tank fit with the newer style tray and brackets if that's the case. I had planned to move my rear axle back on the frame of the 550 and bought a side mounted tank from a SuperDuty pickup at the junkyard to replace the rear tank. The brackets just bolt to the frame rail on the driver's side and you'd have to replumb it. I never got around to it but I did lift the tank up into place to confirm it would fit. Those tanks are plastic too. Just another idea.
I picked up a set of 26 gallon built in style propane tanks at a camper dealer estate sale. Brand new. I plan on mounting them as saddle tanks under my flatbed if I ever get to it. They have all the fitting I need and then some. Going to put a electric pump on the cross pipe and plumb them to fill the built in tank for ease of plumbing.
I mounted a 92 gallon aluminum tank in my bed. Plumbed it into my factory tank neck and added a cat water separator and fuel filter been running fine for 60k miles on a 2019 model L5P Duramax