I recently came into possession of a old freightliner. Its a 1985 , 3406b, 15 speed, double frame. It was a dump truck at one time, then a water truck at a quarry. I'm going to be converting it back to a dump truck (its the one I'm looking for a bed for). Anyhow, this truck sat for a while at the quarry, and a couple rats decided to make it there home, or should I say restroom. The wiring isn't really chewed up, its just the cab is really really , "fragrant". Like hard to breathe. I know where there's a cab for a late 90's one, with a pretty decent interior. Its a FLD "classic" I think. From pictures and standing beside the cab's, they look alike except for the winshield area. Mine is the two individual windows with a divider. The newer one is two windows with no divider. What I'm wondering, is if I can switch interiors- headliner, visor/ overhead console, rear upholstery, maybe even dash. Use my wiring and gauges. I even thought about just swapping cabs, but that leads to a whole wiring nightmare, but maybe not as bad as I'm thinking. I'm all mechanical, and could just use my gauges/ wiring in a newer cab. I've been told the doors are the same/ will interchange. My mirrors are door mount, the newer is cab mount. I'm looking for someone that knows freightliners that can say- "the cabs are the same, it will swap", or 'nope' "they kind of look alike but are completely different cabs" . Also be interested if the newer cab (if I just totally swap cabs) would fit with my hood, or/ and that if I need a different hood, if I need different hood mounts or radiator etc. The red truck is the truck I own. The picture of the white truck one of the style of the newer cab/ hood. (not the cab I'm looking at- just a picture off the web)
not many old shakers left that look as good as that one even though it smells bad, just my opinion, take a steam cleaner to the inside after the uphol,has been taken out, that will get most or all the rat stink out ,put the uphol, in closed place under a tarp etc put some cedar shaving in a bbq grill and smoke it for a few hrs to kill the stink in that . lot less work and aggravation than changing a cab
My dash is all broken up, and the upholstery would need to be all new, I was just hoping to really just steal a lot of those parts from the newer cab, and keep my old cab, it would be much less work. Or I can get a upholstery shop to make new.
Do I know anything about Freightliners? Well for starters most of the heater controls on the one you own are not available as some other parts. But The cab mounts are the same, Given that both trucks use the same rear mount stationary or air. Wiring and air is just that- no big deal. The brake system is just dual circuit, same foot valve for years. clutch linkage should be the same. But like anything look both cabs over real good. Truck Shop
Thanks guys, I'm going to try to do a bunch of measuring tomorrow on mine and go over to the other one and compare.
There is one issue you are forgetting, we are in Misery, the Mighty MO Misery. Swap cabs and it needs to go to the local MoSHP for validation much as a Glider Kit retitle. You swap cabs you will need to call and find what you need to do FOR THEM as to getting it correct otherwise it shows up in a spot inspection and it could be parked awhile.
I don't think we're going to the full cab swap option. I think we're just going to switch the newer style interior into the older style cab. I did have that thought about the cab swap, on a inspection or if a title issue arose, the cab swap might lead to a whole different set of problems, but thanks for the reminder.
Yes i can tell you if you do a cab swap you need to have titles for both trucks and the once done taken to the hiway patrol for inspection. They will check all titles and then issue the truck a new serial number and title. I am in sw mo also and have encountered this before. Missouri says there are three items on a truck that is titled or must match the title. That the cab, the frame and the engine. If you have no title or the numbers are not present and readable they consider that as good as stolen!
Well Kinda. That old '69 Dodge W300 I had that I changed to a '73 cab had the title to both even hauled the old cab to TroopC when I got it done swapping, had dug around on the frame and found a number or two in the rust where could not definitely say the chassis came with the cab but they signed off on it anyway.
So you're supposed to take it in then for just switching engines? Most engines I can't ever find a tag with a number on it for parts anyways. I knew cab and frame, but I guess I never thought about it for just a engine swap. Don't tell anyone, because I have a pete in the shop right now that's getting a different 3406.
The answer to that is yes! Also if you look in the dot regs they require you to keep any and all records of an engine change! I think that has to do with the new eld mandate rules pertaining to exemptions. If you have a shop doing the swap then keep all your records from them and I think you will be ok. I would think at that point it would be up to the shop to prove where your engine came from and where your old one went!
Changing interiors most likely won't make the smell go away. There are dead mice and droppings in the heater/air conditioner vents. You have to clean the ducts of vermin/droppings/****. The dash is held in by 3? plastic braces. They are most likely broken. I couldn't find them and fabbed new steel replacements.
We're doing the work on the engine swap. Its a early 90's pete, and I guess that's just one I'll worry about when the time comes. Nice to know on the dash braces. We should end up with the old cab pretty well gutted, we'll try to clean as good as we can. A good washing and maybe some time with the doors open to let it air out. Did you find a 3406 terex herder? I think we're going to end up keeping this one, but I have a buddy with a runner, he pulled it all out for a guy and had it running on a bucket of fuel, then the guy didn't buy it. It's out of a ford though, so it was angle mounted, you would have to change some things if its going into anything else.
Haven't found one yet, not looking very hard yet. It needs to go into a '93 FLD120 with a current 3406C PEEC.
On vehicles that had a minor fire in them i have heard of them being cleaned best as possible spraying them with blechwhite whitewall tire cleaner and recleaning afterwards to get the burned smell out , maybe will work on mouse **** too ?
Febreze or Lysol down the ducts makes it temper as well, just have to kill the bacteria and ammonia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthohantavirus A friend of mine lost his uncle to hanta virus cleaning a nest out of a combine. He lasted less than 48 hours his lungs filled with fluid. Hanta virus is possible to be everywhere there are deer mice. Fact Truck Shop
If your immune system is even close to limited don't do it. As noted that virus will flat do a number on you if not kill you.
If it were me id take it apart as far as i can get it and remove all the electronic stuff. Then go after it with bleach and a pressure washer. Just remember bleach kills everything!
If you have ever worked on an airplane from hati you would think a little mouse **** is nothing! Seriously its that bad from hati!