Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody seen one of these before?

tmc_31 ยท 2016-01-02 11:27

Found this old Trackhoe on Craigslist, not to far from me. The owner says it still runs and digs. He says he thinks it is a Vermeer (due to it's color) but he doesn't know what model. It has a 2 cyl Wisconsin engine on it. Does anybody have any idea what it might be? Thanks, Tim

Replies8
  1. #1kshansen2016-01-02 11:55

    Never saw one before but did have one of those engines sitting in the barn for a few years, kind of the left side of a V4 Wisconsin. If it started and ran and was near by I would be tempted. Could be fun to play with! Bucket actually looks big for the size of the machine, but depends on what kind of dirt you have to deal with. For the rock and clay we have I'd be looking for a bucket about 1/3 the size!

  2. #2check2016-01-02 11:57

    I don't know the answer to your question. The Wisconsin looks like either a THD or a TJD, the latter being more desireable.

  3. #3Delmer2016-01-02 11:57

    HeavyEquipmentForums check out this thread. Your's obviously isn't a stick clam, but it bears some resemblance, especially if there's a lot of chains and sprockets on the undercarriage. I doubt there were many players in the mini excavator business when this was made. Some close ups of the undercarriage, swing bearing, and valves could narrow it down. There's always the possibility somebody cobbled it up from junkyard parts in the more recent past too.

  4. #4tmc_312016-01-02 12:25

    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Delmer, the stick clam is an interesting piece of equipment. Not sure if they are related although they do seem to be of about the same vintage. I haven't been to look at it yet as it's cold outside (yes, even here in Texas). Check, I agree, looks like a THD or TJD. At 15-18 hp it's not going to have a lot of guts. Don't know if it would be needed or not but I wonder if it could be fitted with a V4? Seems like there are a lot of those laying around. kshansen, the owner said he started and ran it this morning. Yeah, it looks like it might be a fun project if nothing else. He did say that the manifold was broken. Looks like that would be and easy fix assuming one could get the old one off. Tim

  5. #5check2016-01-02 12:40

    My TJD runs an old Hobart 200 amp welder at 3200 RPM and usually sounds like it's at 100% when I use it at 160 amps. 3200 RPM seems a bit much to run a hydraulic pump direct drive. At a more reasonable 2400 RPM the horsepower would be way down there. You could probably put just about any kind of small engine back there but if it stuck out you would have to build a tailswing cage of some sort to protect it.

  6. #6kshansen2016-01-02 12:45

    Heck with fixing manifold it probably just crack again, convert to dual exhaust with a pair of mufflers off an 10-12 horse Briggs! Or just change out to a more modern OHV Honda! http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431131_200431131 Nice smooth running and electric start! Or go Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/22-hp-670cc-v-twin-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-61614.html

  7. #7check2016-01-02 13:07

    You would have to match the RPM to the pump. That nice Honda runs 3600 RPM.

  8. #8tmc_312016-01-03 13:38

    Thanks for all the responses guys, The CL ad is not there anymore so I guess someone beat me to it. Still, if anyone recognizes the machine, I would appreciate it if you would let me know as I am still curious. Tim