Wouldn't a handful of play sand do the same thing? I had some I found in an auction box. Tried out 5 ounces each in some 235 85 16's. Man are they a bCensoredch to put in the valve stem, took a half hour or more per tire, to wiggle jiggle and tap them in. Next time, if there is one, I'm gonna break the top bead, and pour them in, LOL! http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/bead-balancing-tires/
Used to be dynamic balancers of all sorts for sale, hollow rings full of ball bearings that mounted on the wheel studs on the backside of the wheel, different things that went in the tires. Couple quarts of water do the same thing probably. Physics.
I've tried this product before, for want of a better option.... just pop the bead and drop the bag in... but didn't have any luck with it. Plus, you have to remove it before spinning the wheel on a balancer. http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=35
A small local trucking company near me uses 'Equal' religiously. I know they use it on there steer tires and pretty sure they use it on there drive tires. I don't think they use it on there trailer tires. Just my $.02
The shop i work at sells tires and alot of guys said its works but they got new tires that it was put in to replace junk tires. I dont ever balance my own tires on my cars and pickups i think once you get some mud on them or the rims its all over for the balanceing. I wish i could put it in the 825/20s on my f600 that would be a true test.
I use Dyna Beads in my 31 Ford Model A pick up they seem to work but it still rides like an 85 yr old truck
Those have been tried, discussed, and abandoned on many, many, car, truck and motorcycle forums. Nothing beats a decent gravity balancer and a box of weights. Howard
YES that is correct! Beads, powder etc won't work on short trips or stop-and-go traffic jams; waste of $$$$
Why would you need tires balanced in stop and go traffic? The beads work well in truck steer tires haven't used them in anything smaller and yes have used silica sand too
Equal works great as long as you don't add air that has water in it. Makes a mess!!