Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody with a JD 690D LC??

millercross3 ยท 2013-02-19 12:43

Wondering if there are any weak points or trouble spots that I should concern myself with? I'm not sure what year they started throwing censors and selenoids all over the 690's. Looking at one that the guy thought is a 1989 model and said there is a little wear in the swing bearing. He said you could feel it. If you can "feel it" does that mean more like don't waste my time driving 490 miles one way to look at it? 9000 hrs he thought(meter quit at 8800) uses gallon of oil in 100hr change, new rails, replaced some rollers, boom cylinders seep a little, 47,000lbs with counter weight, 32" tracks, 11' wide, 3' rock bucket with hydraulic thumb, for 20 grand:beatsme Is that anything worth driving that far for? Trouble up here is that anything that's older mechanical is non existent or you wonder why they are advertising "scrap iron" it's so wore out. Now if I was 4 states farther south/east. I'd be like a virgin in a strip club(I'd take that one and that one, ohhh or maybe that one) Anybody's thoughts would be nice. Thanks from the frozen North prairie

Replies7
  1. #1millercross32013-02-19 13:23

    Update on the 690D....I saw an on machinery trader with the same pictures as this one. So I called about it for sh*ts and giggles to get the "JOCKEY's" version of the machine. He said it was a 1995, told me the same things about the rails and rollers, asked him if it uses any oil, I barely got it out and he's like No, nope doesn't use a drop of oil and the cylinders were packed and resealed. Really.....Really....and with all sincerity REALLY! Why do sooooo many people get off on not telling the truth about equipment. If it leaks it leaks no big deal, not "oh man the final drives won't hold oil, so lets fill them up with grease and pawn it off to somebody else and let them worry about spending $25K for the machine and then another $10K to fix it for the little use that they have. Or man that thing is so wore beyond belief, lets put a brand new paint job on it with decals and they'll never know a thing. Sorry for the raging ranting rave, but it just chaps my sack when people just can't be truthful. There is no such thing as different degrees of truth. A half truth is a FULL LIE. (maybe it's the strong coffee, below temps and lack of ice fishing that's talking)

  2. #2JCSI2013-02-19 20:43

    Sounds pretty wore out. I have a 690E with 17K hrs on it and it doesn't have that many problems. We have redone cylinders and the undercarriage but nothing to the motor yet.

  3. #3millercross32013-02-20 14:19

    I'm thinking it was treated like a red headed stepchild :nono

  4. #4Silveroddo2013-02-22 15:56

    I think I saw the add your talking about and i have a hard time believing that its a '95. Sounds like a machine to avoid. If the guys knows what he's talking about when it comes to the wear in the swing bearing, that job would be neither fun nor cheap to deal with. I would tend to think when a guy tells you all of those problems theres probably a handful of other things he either doesnt see as a problem, or forgot to mention. Theres gotta be better stuff out there to road trip for.

  5. #5joeblow2013-02-23 08:39

    The 690D and 690E were the last attempt by Deere to make an excavator.They are now all made by Hitachi and the quality has improved quite a bit.Both had problems with the Linde hydraulics.I would be careful of buying someone else's problem.

  6. #6millercross32013-02-23 13:01

    Mega dittos to that, Silver. I let the idea of that one pass. I know there's gotta be a 1,000 original hour machine that was used to dig in sand, that's been hauled everywhere it went, sitting in a shop covered with a tarp, with an armoraled seat, somewhere:lmao

  7. #7millercross32013-02-23 13:14

    I hear ya Joeblow, some people are darn good at hiding their problems they are trying to sell too.