Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone ever buy heavy equipment on eBay ?

bigrich954rr · 2020-01-02 01:26

Has anyone ever bought heavy equipment on eBay? What’s the farthest distance you would consider because I know the price to move equipment is not cheap? It looks like I’ve seen a couple good deals but worried about bidding online

Replies21
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-01-02 07:07

    You jogged my memory about a YouTube video i had watched quite a while ago about an ebay purchase. In the comments, the poster said ebay wouldn't do a thing to help remedy the situation.

  2. #2highwayghost2020-01-02 07:56

    I saw a backhoe on Ebay a short time back. The price was GREAT!! Only way to contact them was through messaging. I pressed them that I wanted to come see the machine and would bring cash, had my own hauler. They had all kinds of excuses about where the machine was, how to pay and hauling was already arranged. Who doesn't like $$CASH$$ ??? Long story short it never happened and they quit responding. I think they just borrowed some BH pictures and set up a 'sting'. I suspected it a scam from the beginning. 'To good to be true' type thing. Always exercise caution. The Scammers are everywhere!

  3. #3Birken Vogt2020-01-02 09:54

    That is somewhat unusual because ebay usually always sides with the buyer on smaller stuff. Maybe bigger stuff is a different story? Or maybe he did it wrong somehow. I did buy my pickup on ebay many years ago, flew to Texas, seller delivered it to the airport, drove straight home. Dual mass flywheel was pretty bad and it had an oil leak that I finally fixed many years later, otherwise has been near perfect but getting rather worn out now. But I would not do it again, too risky.

  4. #4RTSmith2020-01-02 11:09

    For what it is worth, when we have listed equipment on EBay we put our website and phone number in so you could reach out directly. EBay pulled the ads, afraid we'd sell outside of EBay to save the large fees. So yes, when you try and sell respectable EBay can make it tough.

  5. #5hosspuller2020-01-02 11:09

    Bought a car and a horse trailer on E-bay. Brought a cashier's check at pick up. That was 15 years ago... maybe the scammers have ruined things.

  6. #6bigrich954rr2020-01-03 23:09

    Ok thanks that kinda what I’ve thought most deals seem to good to be true . I’d like to buy local but not much to pick from out here. I see better deals with lower hours out East one company is from NY but hauling it 3000 miles kind kills the good deal

  7. #7hosspuller2020-01-03 23:56

    I think E-bay can still be a source for equipment deals. In every case, one has to go to the machine and personally inspect it before payment. You might be out travel and a deposit if the machine isn't as described... But nothing beats YOUR inspection (including Trusted friends, dealers, etc. It's your money not theirs)

  8. #8Jonas3022020-01-04 09:31

    Nothing wrong with ebay itself same as any other market due diligence, buyer beware, hand on inspection or plan on losing I once sold a tractor on ebay that had a bad transmission the ad stated that and the price paid reflected it but I still contacted the new owners again before they made the 13 hour drive to make it very clear what they were getting they were very happy when they came I had spent the day getting the rusty wheels set in to fit the trailer and it was still able to drive up.

  9. #9terex herder2020-01-05 08:16

    I bought a track hoe on ebay. The seller was bidadoo, and the machine was fresh from a rental companies fleet. Price was about $65,000 delivered, which was $20,000 less than machine jockeys or dealers were asking for a similar machine, so I had room for repairs. bidadoo offers 30 day return privileges, which I didn't need. I did get a dealer mechanic out to look over the machine before the 30 days was up. Bidadoo also arranged delivery, which was about 600 miles with overwidth permits.

  10. #10check2020-01-05 10:02

    Why even consider buying a machine sight unseen on ebay when you can shop on Craigslist and deal direct with the owner without commissions? I have bought and sold tons of stuff on Craigslist and rarely had any issues.

  11. #11skata2020-01-05 13:23

    Bidadoo is great. I've bought several pieces of equipment from them.

  12. #12highwayghost2020-01-20 21:16

    Saw this on Craigslist. Bet it's a scam. If you were selling it for that price it wouldn't need to be advertised. https://meadville.craigslist.org/hvo/d/meadville-great-sliding-case-sn-580/7053807871.html

  13. #13hosspuller2020-01-20 22:07

    Sure enough it's a scam... When you reply to the ad, They want your info (address, phone number, etc) and seller always says the machine is ready to be shipped to you. (with some sob story) BUT, if it's not a scam, the only way is to physically look at the machine. Even then, you're taking a risk that it's a stolen machine. There is no way to be sure it's not stolen or under a lien some where. Maybe if you trace it back to the selling dealer and follow it through the previous owners.

  14. #14check2020-01-20 22:54

    There are tons of scammers on Craigslist and the law doesn't do a damn thing about them. Good thing they are blatantly obvious.

  15. #15John C.2020-01-20 22:58

    Four wheel drive and only $12,500. Too good to be true!

  16. #16skata2020-01-20 23:57

    There are tons of fake ads on Craigslist. And they are pretty obvious. Really low price, and details that are irrelevant. And you'll never be able to look at the machine. It will be delivered to you!

  17. #17Delmer2020-01-21 09:56

    Picture of the machine in the driveway of a California suburban home, with palm trees, when the add is placed in Minnesota in February, amy123@gmail, usually the city of the site, not one of the more likely outlying areas where that sort of equipment would be sold. Now I said too much, there's a rich nigerian prince reading this and putting a memo out to the minions.

  18. #18Tugger22020-01-21 10:09

    I advertised a grader on Craigslist and the scammers seemed to really like it . One wanted to send a cheque for more than my price, another said he was buying it as a birthday present for his son in Florida. Ive sold lots of stuff on Craigslist succesfully . The real people will call my phone number and actually talk, before they come and actually look. I wouldnt think of selling something large on Ebay.

  19. #19JBrady2020-01-21 22:04

    I have bought three large items off of eBay in the last several years. A bobcat, a 3/4 suburban, and a Case 590. I am in Oklahoma and all 3 items were from out East and I did not see any of them in person before buying. The suburban was probably the best experience, but the skid steer and backhoe all worked out fine The suburban only cost $500 to ship, skid steer and backhoe were reasonable. I found the prices of equipment on the east coast was way better than OK or TX, but usually had more rust from salt than I am used too. I also did not complete any of the sales through EBay. All of the ads had a picture in the listing with a phone number and I called and did all of my talking over the phone. The backhoe was the only private sale and I was able to talk to the owner and the previous owner. I was a little nervous on that one, but it showed up just as described.

  20. #20nomorelawns2020-01-27 11:48

    Bought and sold trucks and equipment on eBay. Always worked out well, BUT you have to be incredibly careful and notice any little detail that may clue you in to a bad deal or sketchy situation. That can help avoid most problems.

  21. #21Michael Shuder2020-01-28 13:08

    I've recently purchased a skid steer wheel loader via ebay and i gotta say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The price was ok and the shipping was good (the seller sent it with freight shipping). overall satisfied with the experience.