For years now we have had a 70ft boom lift that we locked out the tele cylinder because the seals are toast. Apparently it is a pretty extreme repair as I understand but getting tired of not having that enabled. Curious if anyone has ever done one? Some may ask brand, model, etc, but I don't think it matters much. There is a long cylinder inside the boom, with pulleys and cables. Some say the entire boom has to come off. Some say there are other ways. I don't really know, but the book is zero help, the OEM is out of business, and dealers could care less. Could compare the boom directly to a tele crane section. Box frame, 3 sections. The manuals suck and I know it won't come apart like it should.
Big project that includes separating all the sections. Plan on doing hoses, pads and chains at the same time while in there. Hope you have a crane or a couple of forklifts to help out.
Any thoughts on procedure? Keep main section attached to machine? Issue is to truly separate all sections, you need more cable and hose length, or disconnect 500 wires because of course they didn't make them to come apart....ever. I had thought about trying to pull the cylinder out the back but I don't think we can get to the head side hose or get it to come out the back dimension wise.
You'd need to post model/serial for some folks to jump in with more insight on yours, and if there's a way to pull the cylinder out of the rear. I just assisted on a couple in the shop, and it was fully removing each section and setting on stands before pulling the cylinder. Couldn't imagine they'd build it easy enough to pull out of the rear with all the hoses, rollers and chains in the way.
Curtis @Cee down in Australia Is doing a rebuild on a Franna. He shows whats all involved in that on UTube. This is Ep. 12 of 17 total so far.