Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone have experience with TD8c dozer

Blaw1978 · 2023-10-14 16:39

Hello , looking for someone that may have some experience with the TD series dozer . I have a regulator valve that has a couple missing internal components according to my service manual . Upon tear down I found that items 26 and 27 are non existent in my valve body . I only took this apart in hopes it would lead to finding the issue of my tracks still creeping while in neutral . Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1DMiller2023-10-14 17:00

    There were tons of Tech bulletins in the IH Days, was hard to keep up as was not dealer attached. I cannot remember if that was in one of those or not but good luck trying to find replacements. Perhaps the Dresser/Dressta line still used that assembly. Only way to know is check with a supplier for those.

  2. #2Acecadet2023-10-14 20:05

    After looking more closely at the parts breakdown and the repair manual showing flow of oil, I have determined that the parts you are missing are an unnecessary check valve. Why would we ever worry about oil flowing back to the pump? There is no way for that to happen while running. It is not needed and that’s why it was left out. Not to mention it would also make for a restriction in the amount of flow that would get to the converter and lube circuit. The less flow may lead to higher torque converter temps and that’s why they took it out. Did you ever get to testing the range valve? I’m still leaning toward the range valve or an internal speed pack problem.

  3. #3Blaw19782023-10-14 20:16

    Thanks so much for your reply !! Your explanation makes sense as to why the parts are missing in action . I did manage to get the range valve off . Man was it ever a pain in the behind . I’m now dreading the reinstall lol. But I broke the valve down and found now obstructions or significant wear internally . I cleaned it up and installed new o rings on the end cap plates . Should I check for obstructions in the hoses leading to the pilot valve while I have the range valve ends of them unhooked as of now ? Also where is the speed pack located ? And thanks again i truly do appreciate it !

  4. #4Acecadet2023-10-14 20:22

    Well I think after you reinstall the range valve, you should set it up to monitor 1,2 and 3 speed pack oil pressure. Then you can see if it is an oil pressure problem or more of a mechanical problem. Should be hex plugs on the range valve for testing. If no pressure is found in neutral like there should be, then it looks like you may need to pull the transmission. Not really what a guy would want to do.

  5. #5Blaw19782023-10-14 20:31

    I’ll definitely try that , and pulling the transmission doesn’t sound great at all . I’m definitely not setup for that type repair . If I push the decelerator all the way down it will not creep . I know that’s not a great or super safe way of having to operate it but could still be better than a transmission pull . It’s only going to be used to clean up my 30 acres as I get time .