Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone know small Perkins engines? 103-10

cfherrman · 2024-04-21 16:02

I'm trying to get this thing going and it's stuck at full throttle. I'm not sure if I have this thing assembled correctly, any help?

Replies12
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-04-21 20:56

    Does it have a shut off solenoid or is it mechanical shut off. Does the governor do its thing or is the engine trying to run away Is the plastic piece that the governor weights ride on moving freely. Are the weights freely moving

  2. #2thepumpguysc2024-04-21 22:56

    Does the inj pump control rack move freely back and forth.?? Did someone try to take the inj pump out w/o taking the solenoid out FIRST.?? THAT mess’s up the solenoid plunger AND the inj pump control rack.. Hope this helps.

  3. #3cfherrman2024-04-21 23:00

    I was able to get it, the tab the limits the throw to the shut off was bent, I put it back to 90, here's a short I made when I was struggling. It was binding a bunch and the throttle return spring was not working great either. When I get the project done I'll post a full video and you can watch me struggle. No I didn't remove the shut off but apparently it was fine.

  4. #4cfherrman2024-05-03 20:49

    I got the thing running and driving bit it doesn't have much throttle response. My brother told me that he swapped the inj pump from a 103-7, is that pump smaller? Is there a way to turn these pumps up a little to blow a little smoke? Thanks!

  5. #5thepumpguysc2024-05-03 21:51

    As long as ur up and running, albeit slow.. how about sending me the original and let me work some magic on it.?? This way u won’t have to mess with the factory adjustments..

  6. #6cfherrman2024-05-04 09:09

    How much?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-05-04 11:25

    It won’t cost u a dime for me to give u an estimate.. I gotta see what’s wrong with it before I tell you “how much”.. Or u can hold it up to the phone.. lol U can reach me directly at: My screen name at aoldotcom

  8. #8cfherrman2024-05-04 12:53

    Well the rack is stuck and my brother said something about a sheet metal washer spring being broken

  9. #9thepumpguysc2024-05-04 13:31

    Who do u think knows a little bit more about those pumps?? For starters, There no such part inside that pump..

  10. #10cfherrman2024-05-04 14:52

    Honestly it doesn't look like the pumps have been switched and I don't think the rack would have been frozen on the one from the engine that runs rather from the engine that was sitting on its side a long time. The timing covers are supposed to be switched too but it does not look that way.

  11. #11cfherrman2024-05-04 14:54

    Can they be turned up if I add a turbo?

  12. #12cfherrman2024-05-04 14:57

    "retaining washer on the bottom of one of thr pistons, sheet metal"