Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anyone know why a equipment dealer would want a machine back before 1o hours?

caterpillar72 ยท 2014-02-15 20:01

have a demo machine and was told the dealer wanted the machine back before it reaches 10 hours anyone know why? does it become a used machine?

Replies6
  1. #1lumberjack2014-02-15 20:27

    Depends on the mfg. With Gehl/Mustang, 75 hours makes for a used machine. One reason could be to limit the hours you put on it so that other people could have the chance to demo it before it becomes "used." Some people will put 30+ hours on a 2 day demo.

  2. #2Buckethead2014-02-16 15:45

    Probably they are thinking 10 hours is a reasonable amount of time for you to make up your mind whether you like the machine or not. If you're going to use it long term, they figure you can pay for it.

  3. #3Oxbow2014-02-16 16:08

    I demoed a Cat 328 last fall and the salesman encouraged me not to put more than 16 hours on the machine. I had to haul the machine about seventy miles to the job I was on, and I sure as heck was not going to go to the expense of hauling it up there for only 10 hours worth of use.

  4. #4Buckethead2014-02-16 20:04

    I know what you mean. The salesman doesn't care about that, he just wants to make a sale.

  5. #5Acivil2014-02-17 20:30

    I wonder if this has always been the norm, or if it's just been since things tightened up economically... a lot of dealer shakeups since 2009...

  6. #6Deeretracks2014-02-17 20:49

    Wow, we usually demo stuff for a week, never had an issue with the hours. They will generally sent out a fresh rental machine instead of the one we'd be buying though.