Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anyone laid off???

9420pullpan ยท 2006-12-04 19:52

i just got laid off today. so im looking for work in northern California ........

Replies17
  1. #1murray832006-12-04 20:03

    Does quitting count? Next spring I'm hunting for a new company to work with,one that doesn't treat its employees like crap.

  2. #2Wolf2006-12-04 20:26

    sorry about the layoff Sorry to hear about the layoff. That really sucks. Keep your chin up, man. Where are you in northern California? and what kind of work are you looking for? Let me know and perhaps I can hook you up with some contacts I have out there. Good luck!

  3. #39420pullpan2006-12-04 21:28

    i like dirtwork, grading, etc. i can operate dozer, excavator, scraper and blade. i live in the sacramento area....

  4. #4CascadeScaper2006-12-05 02:34

    That sucks man. I'm thinking about quitting the restaurant job I have and getting back into dirt, looking for a job in the industry as well.

  5. #5Dozerboy2006-12-06 21:13

    No but I have had a few days of we are real slow tons of work down here.

  6. #6CT18fireman2006-12-06 22:06

    My brother in aw works for a large construction company out there. I think they are living just North of Sacremento now. I will shoot him an e-mail now and see if I can get some contact information.

  7. #7CAT245ME2006-12-09 15:28

    I am done in a couple of weeks, while diffrent companys in my area just finished up recently but I am looking forward to some time off.

  8. #8murray832006-12-09 17:02

    You working up on the new highway?

  9. #9Blademan2006-12-10 02:33

    My last day was last friday . It's a seasonal shutdown up here as the frost and costs prohibit roadbuilding in the winter months , well , for the most part . Time to hibernate ......:bouncegri :thumbsup :notworthy

  10. #10CAT245ME2006-12-10 09:53

    No, I am not up on the highway even though we are one of the builders on the project, I think it would be nice to be up there working on it.

  11. #11Ford LT-90002006-12-12 17:24

    I'am looking for work too but it looks like there is nothing going to happen till march at the earliest. It is a pain in the azz I hate sitting at home and not making any money. I did some job searches on the net nothing but low paying wages. It looks like I'am going to be going self employeed again if the work picks up I make 20 dollars per hour not 12 dollars per hour like some companies are offering.

  12. #12Cat4202006-12-12 19:55

    www.indeed.com is a good job search site. It pulls results from a bunch of other job websites and displays them all at once. Too bad they don't do Canada.

  13. #13Mass-X2006-12-16 19:25

    Sorry to hear about getting laid off. Are you a member of Local 3, the Operating Engineers Union that covers Northern California, Nevada and Utah? A few guys at the company I work for have left because of jobs on I-80 in CA, from Grass Valley through Reno from what I hear? The project is supposed to take a few years. Most of the outfits around here are still working full bore, and many are currently hiring despite the snow. The I-15 job is running full force and they start Legacy Highway in two weeks. http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4790507 At $28-$33/hour, I'm hoping they're looking for a grading foreman or finish grade dozer hand. Ames Construction, and Clyde/Geneva I know are both currently hiring. I'll check into the I-80 jobs more and get back to you, hopefully they're close to ya.

  14. #14CAT245ME2006-12-29 11:21

    Well I got laid off last friday and I am enjoying every minute of it, I know it wont be long til april comes around and it will be time to be drug back.:yup

  15. #15murray832006-12-29 16:17

    Your inside keeping warm while some are still out freezing their behinds off :bouncegri

  16. #16CAT245ME2006-12-29 18:38

    You wanna believe it! The only time I will have to go out side is if we start getting some snow to plow, and thats a big IF.

  17. #17murray832006-12-29 20:07

    I was working a ship today at the port and holy crap by far the coldest day of the year so far,nothing to block the wind on the water. Oh well could be worse,It could have been fishmeal.