Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone log in Magadan?

Coaldust · 2021-12-09 20:30

Anyone have any good stories to tell about logging or mining in Magadan Russia back in the 90’s? Two Alaska dealers I worked for, NC Machinery and Pacific North Equipment, set up shop there for a short period. Much money exchanged hands. I was offered opportunities to go, but declined after hearing the stories told by co-workers arriving back. And being a GenX child of the Cold War. Lol. I did a search, but nothing came up. I don’t think we have discussed Magadan before. Let’s hear some stories.

Replies3
  1. #1Jumbo2021-12-15 21:00

    Did a fish hatchery there (electrical) I was there 8 months, not bad, not good. But to put it in perspective, the 18 months I spent in Moses Lake (Washington) doing the Genie Plant was the longest 10 years of my life.

  2. #2John C.2021-12-16 11:03

    I left employment at Pacific North just before that mess got put together. I did work for them as a contractor later and only heard vague issues of being paid in gold and parts shipping was in containers a few times a year. A couple of people told me the Russians liked the Komatsu equipment better than the Russian built stuff. I never really heard anything out of the Caterpillar people that was memorable.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-12-16 18:38

    Interesting story from the Alaska Journal of Commerce about the NC Machinery venture. https://www.alaskajournal.com/community/2001-06-10/nc-machinery-outfits-russians