Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone near

PSDF350 ยท 2009-06-06 08:07

Montgomery AL? In the commercail truck trailer and equipment trader there was an ad for a 94 deere 310d supposedly in ct but is in alabama. Anyway the the pics he sent it looks to be in decent shape, and price is good 6500 plus shipping. He's willing to have third party hold backhoe money till I have deliverd and inspect. But I can't do that would rather someone else take a look since I can't. So if anyone is willing or knows a machanic I could hire to inspect it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies17
  1. #1PSDF3502009-06-06 08:25

    Heres a few pics.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2009-06-06 10:39

    Dave, I'd bet big money it's a scam. Tell him you have someone to come to his place to physically inspect the machine and he'll disappear. Just for kicks, ask for the serial number then run it on google, I'll bet you find another ad where the machine is for sale at a higher price by the legitimate owner.

  3. #3AtlasRob2009-06-06 11:30

    Its not funny but that is a very quick way to find out if someone/thing is genuine. I recently contacted what I would term well respected plant advertiser in a trade paper who was advertising a machine. Very nice web page etc, etc. We had a good chat and it transpired it wasnt actually his he was advertising it for a friend as a favour. The pictures and serial number never did arrive despite me dropping him an email a few days later just to check he had the correct contact details. Not even a ......sorry its already sold. :beatsme Be careful :drinkup

  4. #4PSDF3502009-06-06 11:32

    Steve he sent me the Serial Number:T0310DF794659 in first email along with description and pictures but pics didn't make it so he sent again that's when he told me he was in AL. But like you I have a suspicious mind. Thats why unless I can inspect myself or have someone else check I would pass. Even though it may be legit and a great deal if so.:beatsme

  5. #5Steve Frazier2009-06-06 11:49

    I just searched the serial number and it came back to an ebay ad which has been pulled http://cgi.ebay.fr/1994-John-Deere-...geNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBIDQQcmdZViewItem Looks like French to me, I don't understand what is written but I'll bet it isn't good. I've been car shopping and came across what appeared to be a real good deal on Craigs List and inquired, I got the third party story where he'll ship the car to me for inspection and if I don't like there's no cost to me. I ran the VIN on Car Fax and it came back owned by a dealer on Staten Island for sale at a much higher price. He was very interested in finding out who was trying to sell his car. These guys surf the web and copy photos of items for sale then put up their own fake ad somewhere in the hopes that someone will be fooled into sending the deposit, then it's never seen again.

  6. #6PSDF3502009-06-06 12:08

    Thanks Steve! I did email him for an address to inspect.

  7. #7Serv2009-06-06 14:19

    Wow, good catch Steve. Looks like someone won the French auction for 15,000 USD. If you compare the above photos to those of the ebay ad, you can see where this scammer photoshopped the business name off of the building and cropped out the ebay water marks. http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...794659&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

  8. #8PSDF3502009-06-06 15:09

    Dang you guys are good. Most definitly looks to be the same one. Guess I won't be hearing back from him with address to go look at it. Oh yea those are the nine pics I got in email.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2009-06-20 18:26

    I was cleaning my email box and came across the email about the Toyota I mentioned above: Staten Island is about 1 1/2 hours away and I sent him a reply that I'd like to see the car. He responded: When I insisted I wanted to deal in person rather than through a third party, communication stopped. The use of language in the notes make me wonder if English is his primary language.

  10. #10dogboneshd2009-06-20 18:49

    These are very commonly used scams. Although the net is a very useful outlet, it can be very costly and disasterous for the unsuspecting. I have had ebayers contact me that one of my high dollar items had been relisted waaay cheap by a scammer.

  11. #11CM19952009-06-20 19:17

    It also works the other way when you have something to sell. This email I recieved recently on a dump truck I have for sale- I haven't responded and won't, I know how this goes. The next email will be he has X amount to spend, which will be several thousands more than the sale price and he will need me to give him the difference in cash upon closing the sale or a deposit, wire transfers, etc. If I did that I would end up with a worthless piece of paper, no truck and out whatever the difference was. PSDF350 - I caught this thread late. I am located an hour or so north of Montgomery, if it would have been legit, I could have helped you out.

  12. #12PSDF3502009-06-21 08:47

    Steve I got email just like that, except the third party was someone other than paypal cant remember who. But like with you he only wanted third party inspection. So my last email to him was I will inspect in person and the link Serv was kind enough to put up here. Never heard from him again ointhead

  13. #13dogboneshd2009-06-21 09:08

    I like this one Hello, Did you sent my item?? Or should i report you to eBay. I sent you the payment last week. Where is my tracking number#??

  14. #14Cat4202009-06-21 13:32

    Scams can be fun too. Here's a classic http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook

  15. #15AtlasRob2009-06-21 16:33

    LMFAO as they say over here, "what goes around, comes around". :cool2

  16. #16dogboneshd2009-06-21 17:14

    Oh here is the follow up to my previous example, just came in minutes ago and forwarded to [email protected] the place to report these clowns Hello, Are you going to respond me?? Where is my tracking # . I sent you the payment 1 week ago

  17. #17toomacho2009-06-22 21:30

    Scammers also use situations like "Going into the army", Selling for my deceased father/wife/son (just fill in the blank) to sound legit as well as make you feel a little sorry for them. Inevitably, religion gets thrown in there to gain peoples trust, and there is always a reason why you can't see the item in person. I went through a similar situation with a "Too good to be true" price on a like new Kubota tractor. I backed out after the second e-mail. Oh, yeah, be careful even when a buyer brings cash! Up here in Dahlonega GA there was a lady who sold a tractor for 10,000 cash, and the cash turned out to be counterfeit! The tractor and "buyer" were never to be seen again.:beatsme You just never know....