Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone own a Takeuchi TB135?

FullMetalBucket · 2007-10-22 21:56

Still looking for a larger machine than the TB007 - which by the way I have been thoroughly impressed with for a tiny machine! It seems overall that Takeuchi seems to get really good reviews from people so here's what I have come across. Found a 2001 TB135 with 2600 hrs, no thumb, no cab - just canopy, 3cyl Yanmar yada yada yada. I've got a couple jobs where a larger machine will be needed. I'm considering dumping the Thomas Skidsteer and getting a Takeuchi tracked skid steer too... but that won't be 'till the spring. Our trailer is good for 7 ton so it looks like this machine and the skidsteer will still ride fine together. Breakout force, digging depth etc looks good for this machine. The guy's asking $12,000 USD, considering the value of the CDN $, this looks like a great deal to me considering a comparable machine Canada seems to be going for closer to $20,000. Any thoughts in general regarding the machine, price etc would be appreciated. Are fully enclosed cabs and heat available for this machine?? Thanks for the input!!!

Replies61
  1. #1Dirtman20072007-10-23 20:41

    I would jump on that deal, friend of ours just bought a 2000 model 135 with 2100 hrs for $12,000. We have a 2004 135 with 1900 hrs on it and the only thing that had gone wrong with it was the starter sylonoid from cutting the machine off an on so many times. Everything else is still perfect. Takeuchi is the way to go in my book, we also just bought a 2006 TL 150 skid steer, have about 600 hrs on it now.

  2. #2mikef872007-10-23 21:36

    Dirtman how do you like your takeuchi track skid steer? I've heard mixed reviews. One guy tells me its like a small dozer, another guy tells me its got no power.

  3. #3Dirtman20072007-10-23 21:58

    I really like the takeuchi Tl150 skid steer. Its the 100 hp version and has a weight a little over 12,000 pounds I think. It has move power than any other machine I have seen. It can push more dirt and faster than a Cat D3 bulldozer.

  4. #4FullMetalBucket2007-10-24 22:21

    http://www.takeuchi-us.com/TL150.html Nice BIG machine! The dimensions don't make it appear to be oversized or anything. DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT Operating Weight (lbs).......................................10,902 Overall Width Without Bucket............................73.2†Overall Height..............................................................91.3†Overall Length With Bucket...............................154.8†Front Clearance Radius With Bucket.............95.8†Rear Clearance Radius...........................................68.7†Angle of Departure...................................................29.5° Maximum Lift Height to Bucket Pin...............126.1†Dump Height Fully Raised.....................................95.7†Max. Dump Angle Fully Raised................................38° Max. Bucket Rollback at Ground Level................30° Reach Fully Raised....................................................38.8†PERFORMANCE Tipping Load (lbs) ISO 14397............................7,056 Operating Capacity (lbs)* ISO 14397...........2,470 Breakout Force (lbs) Bucket Cylinders..........8,692 Breakout Force (lbs) Lift Arm Cylinders........8,549 CYCLE TIME Raise-Full Load (seconds)...........................................4.8 Lower-No load (seconds)............................................3.1 Dump-Full Load (seconds)..........................................3.3 Curl-No load (seconds).................................................2.1 Thanks for the comments on the excavator btw, I'm talking to a guy that imports heavy equipment from the US tomorrow to see how it looks for bring it in. I imported a truck from Japan last year so I don't imagine this would be much more difficult.

  5. #5Fishfiles2007-11-24 07:24

    TB series TB135 is a very good machine , as was the TB035 and the TB35 , I have been around the Takeuchi excavators since they were called Job and Tiger , got to see them grow into what they are now , have got a lot of help over the years from the factory in Atlanta , a very solid machine with good product support and part availability

  6. #6atgreene2007-11-25 21:14

    I have a 2005 135, previous to that I had a 025. Awesome machine, I've got about 1400 hours on it now with all the attachments and a few extras I added. I had an issue with the track frame bending, Tak engineers and sales couldn't figure out why. I repaired it for cheap money and it hasn't bothered since. The only other real issue has been a pesky antifreeze leak. Tak dealer worked on it 3 times, I finally solved it and now it's doing it again. Apears to be clamps? and maybe too much pressure on the recirc line off the themostat. Drips 4-8 drips in cold weather until it's warm. My next machine will be the 145, but the 135 will get into some seriously tight spots. I've got some pics here if you do a search. Deffinitely get the quick attach set-up with thumb. The hydro tilt grading bucket makes the machine. I can finish jobs 50% faster than I could before I got it with less hand labor. FWIW, I"m getting over $100 an hour for mine and have no complaints from customers. It is a snappy little machine that uses less fule and makes more money than guys with 7 ton machines.

  7. #7unimog2007-11-27 00:07

    What is the 100hp version? I just got my 150 a couple weeks ago and heard of no option for power.

  8. #8Idigmywork2007-11-27 08:12

    I have a 2001 (bought new) TB125 and have had no nota zero problems. Has been the best money maker in my fleet. Any one have the new 138 size with zero tail???

  9. #9Countryboy2007-11-27 18:34

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Idigmywork! :drinkup

  10. #10Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-06 20:01

    The 138FR is a great machine the side shift boom is the best thing to happen to mini's. I would be glad to answer any question and if you need to buy anything I will give you a great deal.

  11. #11Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-06 20:03

    if you have questions on anything let me know.

  12. #12BIGBEN20042008-02-06 20:31

    The TB138FR, how much does it acctually weigh? The reason I ask is because when I bought my TL130 the book says it weighs 7,646 pounds but when I got it home and put it on our tractor trailer scales it weighed in at about 8,200 pounds. It did however weigh about 7,700 pounds minus the bucket. Is the weight on the mini with the bucket? The reason I am concerned is because I pull my machine behind a 1 ton dually and can't have too much more weight or I will be overloaded. Also how would that mini compare to the Deere 35D ZTS? I have ran one of those and like it allot. How does the Takeuchi compare to the price of that Deere also? They look like a great machine but if the price is allot more than I wouldn't be able to swing it since the Deere does make a great product.

  13. #13Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-07 09:00

    Check it out . This will have all the stats on the tb138fr

  14. #14BIGBEN20042008-02-07 12:59

    That site won't come up for me. Is their another site?

  15. #15Cat4202008-02-07 13:41

    http://www.centralohiotakeuchi.com/Excavators.html This should be the correct link.

  16. #16BIGBEN20042008-02-07 13:51

    Yea that one works. I guess if I want to know the true weight of the TB138 FR then I will have to demo it and put it on the scales. I don't know if those numbers are accuate or not. I know for a fact that the TL130 does not weigh 7,646 pounds it is that WITHOUT a bucket but with the bucket it is more like 8,200 pounds. So that leads me to believe that the numbers might be off a little on the Mini excavator also.

  17. #17KSSS2008-02-07 21:34

    I would be interested in hearing what you think of that machine. I have not heard any feedback on that machine yet. Let us know what you think.

  18. #18BIGBEN20042008-02-07 21:57

    It looks to be a good mini. How do you like you TB153FR? I like the Takeuchi line up of machines and the dealer in my area is the greatest place to do business at. When I call I always ask for mike and he know's who I am all the time. We get to BSing about all kinds of stuff. The other day I was in their picking up filters and I talked to him for about 1 1/2 Hrs. He also gave me a gallon of gear oil for my final drives for free. Good people and good product. That is worth allot of money in my opinion.

  19. #19KSSS2008-02-07 23:45

    Its a good excavator. The side to side boom is awesome. The breakout is awesome. Well balanced. There are a few small things that I would like to change but over all I keep buying them. They are very productive machines (53 series).

  20. #2074inchShovel2008-02-08 18:37

    I own a TB 135, as a result of my TBO 25 going 2000 trouble free hours.(Well almost trouble free) Not a huge amount, but all that went wrong in 2000 hrs was electric fuel pump. The 135 specs good against Zero tail swing machines, Will out reach, out lift, greater dig depth, than ZTS in same weight class.. IMHO you sacrifice alot for this one feature. The only thing I have heard bad about them is the track frame, but is was just one person.

  21. #21KSSS2008-02-08 23:20

    TK excavators spec very well. They are either class leading or very close in most production based comparisons. The zero tail on a mini is as essential as a bucket is to me. I had a conv. tail mini before I bought my first TB53FR. I made do with that but the zero tail is a much better set up especially for minis which tend to work in tighter areas. If I could have afforded a 160 sized machine in zero tail I would have bought it.

  22. #22BIGBEN20042008-02-08 23:44

    I couldn't of said it better myself. The reason for most people to buy a mini is expecting to put it in very tight areas and the last thing you want to do is to swing the machine around and hear "BANG" and have to look back to see that you took out the corner of a house and knocked down a fence. Zero turn machines have almost dominated the market. I see very few standard tail machines around anymore and most of them are older before they really started making the zero turn models. When I go to buy a mini i won't even look at any standard tail machines even if they have a good price on them. My local Takeuchi came out to my house this morning and gave me a hat and just stopped by to say hello but he has a good deal on some brand new TB153FR open cab models for only $39,000. It is a little too big for me but if anyone is interested it is a good price for a zero turn machine.

  23. #23KSSS2008-02-09 00:50

    39K is a smokin deal for a TB153. Honestly I cant believe they are selling them that cheap.

  24. #24BIGBEN20042008-02-09 10:17

    Yea that is what I think. I will call in on Monday to verify it and make sure that is the correct machine for that price. I think he said they had like 20 Hrs. on them but that isn't anything for Hrs. If that is the correct information then I will post up their web link.

  25. #25TFPace2008-02-20 03:12

    We rent the TB 135 from Sunbelt and it is a fine machine.

  26. #26Countryboy2008-02-20 04:24

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums TFPace! :drinkup

  27. #27trailmaker2008-02-22 13:10

    tb138 report I bought a tb138 last year. So far I've only used it for mowing coyote brush and poison oak. I am not a professional heavy equipment operator and I have no previous excavator experience but for my specific application it has worked very well. Most of our land is too steep and wooded to get a tractor and brush hog around so this small excavator has allowed us to reclaim some land and old roads that had been swallowed up. I've only put on 150 hrs, but no issues so far.

  28. #28Senator215i2008-02-23 07:53

    trailmaker have you got any pics of your set up

  29. #29KSSS2008-02-23 14:23

    Ironically that is the one area that TK excavators don't do well.* Whatever the reason they don't create the GPM at the aux. hyds that other machines do.** I am not sure why.* My 153 should be about 4-5 gpm than it is (currently around 16).*Deere/Hitachi although not that powerful on any other spec seem to create a good gpm flow at the aux. hyd.

  30. #30trailmaker2008-02-24 17:19

    TK aux flow Senator, I'll try to post some pics soon. The tb153, if I remember correctly from my research, actually has less aux flow than the 138. I don't know why this is and I don't know if the 138 or the 153 is the exception among takeuchis. If anyone has any insight into this, let us know.:beatsme

  31. #31Senator215i2008-02-24 20:32

    thanks trailmaker. i've seen and been on bigger machines with groomers on them but haven't really seen any smaller machines with heads on them.

  32. #32Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-29 22:17

    You are correct the 153/145 have less flow. 14.8 vs 15.6 gpm The nice thing is you can actually upgrade the 153/145 to high flow over 35 gpm. You can throw on a mulching head and get to work. It really is not that much more expensive.

  33. #33Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-29 22:30

    Here is a head unit to checkout. This is a TB175 but the same unit will fit on the tb153. The tb175 can be upgraded to high flow as well. http://www.rockhound.com/40EXTreme.pdf

  34. #34Senator215i2008-02-29 22:51

    just had a look at your link OHIO that machine looks bigger than the TB175 looks more like the TB1140 i could be wrong though

  35. #35Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-29 23:32

    Yea I looked at it again the 1140 should have a 50" mower on it. Not sure why they have a 40" hooked up to it. The 40" is made to go on the tb145 or tb175. For the ext model you have to upgrade to highflow. They used to have a brochure with an open tb145 and the 40" piece.

  36. #36KSSS2008-03-01 13:56

    That is good to know. What does it cost to add high flow on a 153? Also riddle me this? Why don't these 10K plus machines make 20 gpm off the aux.? There is no reason they should not. I would like to get better performance out of the Hoe pac attachments specifically. This is an issue I wish TK would take seriously. They are under every other major OEM in this area for this size of machine.

  37. #37trailmaker2008-03-13 21:11

    138 with mower (first attempt at pic posting, bear with me)

  38. #38Countryboy2008-03-13 21:20

    Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures, in case you haven't seen it already.

  39. #39trailmaker2008-03-15 19:48

    138 138

  40. #40trailmaker2008-03-15 19:58

    138 with mower 138 with mower

  41. #41Senator215i2008-03-15 22:31

    thanks for putting up the pics trailmaker thats a nice set up you have, it does a good job hey.

  42. #42trailmaker2008-03-16 13:37

    138 Better than a machete, although I think that if you had a lot of flat land a skid steer with some kind of mulching head would be faster. I went with the excavator because we have a lot of steep hillsides that have roads cut along them, and I plan on making some atv trails in the future.

  43. #43rhbm892009-10-01 11:43

    used hydraulic oil tank 2006 tb135 I have a used hydraulic oil tank off of a 2006 tb135 i rented from united and has a small dent in it. would like to get my insurance money back out of it asking $650.00. Any help any of you guys could give me would be great this is my first post.

  44. #44crusherspares2009-10-01 11:53

    Any one need spares for crushing or screening equipment? very competitive prices. Call for a quote on any thing you require Based in the UK and we ship worldwide Andrew - +44 (0) 1530 838 818 http://www.thepartsdepartment.com

  45. #45KSSS2009-10-01 23:24

    Although this is old, I checked into this and according to TK themselves you can not combine pump flow and create a high flow system on the 153. You can on the 180 but not the 153. That sucks. They know that the low flow is an issue now as more guys are using their mini x for mowers and hoe pacs, but so far they have not responded to the market. I am hoping that changes.

  46. #46morfej2009-10-08 07:09

    Tb135 Does anybody knows an original RAL Colour Code that Takeuchi use for TB135 ? Thanx

  47. #47wardster2009-10-17 11:08

    i have owned TBo35 for about 3 years. I am impressed every time i get on it. it has 3500 hrs. on it and don't miss a lick. My dad just bought a 2004 TB135 with 500hrs., hydr. thumb in excellent condition for only 14,000u.s. Their are auctions everywhere. I believe you can find a better deal. Look up Sun Belt Rentals, they have alot. Good luck you cant go wrong with this machine.

  48. #48good-dog2011-10-23 12:15

    HI When your buying a used Takeuchi is there a model/year you should stay away from,I read someware that some parts are not available.I see a lot of 135 around which is a little big, would like to get a 3 to 4 ton and is a rubber track the way to go,or is it better to go steel.It will be used to clean up a 39 ac bush lot.What would you say about a 1989 TB 36 3.5 ton ask $13000 thanks any recomendation

  49. #49Jlillie22011-10-28 11:30

    Too old, and too much money, unless it has very low hours and was owned by a little old lady that used it to plow her driveway once a year....

  50. #50dirtdoctor2011-10-28 19:59

    Iam looking at purchasing a new 138 fr Iam getting rid of a 35D john deere can you tell me any good or bad about machine

  51. #51dirtdoctor2011-10-28 20:02

    can you give me any feed back on takeuchi 138fr unit

  52. #52KSSS2011-10-28 21:25

    I have never run the 138FR. I have had two of the 53 sized machines. I can speak generally of the design. Good. Its probably the most versatile mini ex on the market. It will likely run much bigger than it is. The side to side motion of the boom is a great idea. You can offset dig without pulling the machine around like what happends with a typical swing boom. It is easy to dump into high sided trucks with the boom that articulates along side the cab. After running this machine design for almost ten years now, it would be difficult run anything else. Bad. There are a lot grease zerks with the design and thus a lot of moving parts. TK for whatever reason is light on aux. flow. I know that this is being addressed with the newer models. I have just under 2K on my 153. Starting to see some electrical gremlins. Another excavator friend of mine near me also has one and we are seeing the identical problems. He has about 2K on his. We were both talking today about these machines. We both agree. They are not perfect but they do things that no other mini can.

  53. #53coopers2011-10-29 10:23

    KSSS, How many hours on the machine before you consider trading it in?

  54. #54KSSS2011-10-29 12:06

    The dealer is offering me 30K for on a trade right now. I would like to be out of this one around 2500 hours. I suppose that would leave me a trade value of around the mid 20's. I want to be out of it before the boom mechanics needs attention. It looks expensive.

  55. #55coopers2011-10-30 00:40

    ...and I'm making a guess that you'll look into another TB153FR? I've noticed United Rentals has recently purchased several new TB153FR's...with cabs! Not normal for Washington. I would like to get in one and try one out.

  56. #56KSSS2011-10-30 12:34

    I likely would get another. Although I will demo the CX55, when the time comes.

  57. #57atgreene2013-02-03 10:30

    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I hate to start a new one. My tb135 won't start. I have 12v to the key switch, 12v out of the switch, but no dash lights, no starter, no fuel pump. Talked to the dealer and they haven't been any help. My mechanic says there must be an ignition relay that is bad. Anyone had this issue? Anyone know where the relay would be? Its an '05 with 3600 hours. Thanks!

  58. #58Jlillie22013-02-05 10:55

    There is a big black box with about twenty wires going into it, its the master "computer?" I think the relay might be built into that. B-( Id try reseating the connectors first, un plug everything one, by one, and replug them. (After looking at their condition, if they look crappy, they probably are.)

  59. #59atgreene2013-02-06 15:59

    I think we found the problem. Found the wire harness where it goes behind the motor, right below the starter, was chaffed. Found a couple other places as well. If you own a tak, keep an eye on your harness, I can't be the only one.

  60. #60Kaz112013-03-19 18:51

    "Other guy " is clueless The Tak is an animal

  61. #61MK192017-09-17 12:27

    Just wanted to reboot this thread. I am looking at buying my first mini and there is a guy near me with a TB135 - https://olympic.craigslist.org/hvo/d/takeuchi-tb135-excavator-mower/6290196536.html $25K seems high with those many hours, but the flail mower alone is a $7200 attachment and we'd use that a lot I'd think. Appreciate any advice! TIA!