Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone plow snow yet?

Tacodriver ยท 2008-10-09 23:37

This was yesterday Oct 8 got the call in the morning. Threw the chains on the drives, should have thrown the ones on the front axle.:Banghead This picture was taken at the catshop near the top. Here is the skihills website http://www.skibanff.com/index.php If anyone really wants to run a snowcat for the winter I am sure they are looking for operators.

Replies30
  1. #1coopers2008-10-10 01:57

    I love snow. Beautiful picture.

  2. #2Grader4me2008-10-10 05:13

    I hate snow.. but still..nice picture!

  3. #3stumpjumper832008-10-10 06:41

    I was thinking that its barely october, isn't that jumping the gun a little... But then again your in northern, perminantly frozen canada.... nice pic too

  4. #4D5G2008-10-10 07:38

    great pic!

  5. #5joeeye592008-10-10 07:39

    Hi, Yeah nice pic too, snow makes everything nice and quite I never worked with moving snow with any kind of industrial machine and never paid attention if they all had chains on, is it typical no matter what type of machine you use like a backhoe and front end loader you will need chains to get any traction? besides the machine in the photo do you have others you put chains on or use to move snow? thanks...

  6. #6Tacodriver2008-10-10 09:19

    Yes it is only October but the village is at 7000 feet, when we get rain in town it is snowing up there. They are building a new hotel up there so need to keep the road open. The road is fairly steep not certain but some parts are 12% maybe steeper. Chains are very necessary on icy grades even with the chains I did go for a 30ft slide down the road . The chains on the front just help to steer the grader, on our loader which we use to load snow with we don't use chains but it doesn't see grades like this. Snow tires don't cut it either I had to pull one pickup who had full snow tires and spun out and just about slid over the edge.

  7. #7Bellboy2008-10-10 14:24

    Snow cold . Me and snow don't go together. I guess I am a cold blooded african. That said, the weather here is all confused, cold and rainy one moment, warm and sunny the next.

  8. #8Partsdude2008-10-10 15:37

    in that case feel free to come and shovel my driveway any time you want. I had roughly 3 feet of snow in my front yard last winter and we did not even have the normal amount that we should have had. 5 feet is the norm ....

  9. #9insleyboy2008-10-10 20:08

    Bellboy, explain in detail South Africa "cold".

  10. #10dayexco2008-10-10 21:08

    yeah, nothing more fun than replacing a hydraulic hose under an end loader at 3 a.m. when it's -20F degrees in a target parking lot...snow sux.

  11. #11Vantage_TeS2008-10-10 23:59

    Any idea what they pay for snowcat operators? Might be an interesting solution to winter layoffs moving dirt...

  12. #12stretch2008-10-11 11:15

    I had a dream last night that I would wake up and it would be snowing...I guess it won't be long til we see some here.

  13. #13AtlasRob2008-10-11 15:21

    From the pics and videos I've seen I think you pay to operate them it looks that

  14. #14coopers2008-10-12 03:43

    If I could have three feet of snow each winter I'd be very happy!

  15. #15cat 3852008-10-12 10:12

    around here not much unless it has changed,most of work for low pay, but they get a place to stay and a season ski pass.

  16. #16Vantage_TeS2008-10-12 15:41

    Yeah the videos I've seen it's just been kids who don't really know how to run machines. Of course if they can pay some kid $8/h to run it they aren't going to dish out $24+ even if the guy is an amazing operator and the other guy sucks.

  17. #17stock2008-10-12 16:21

    Is that snow from south America or Afganistan???i

  18. #18Tacodriver2008-10-13 22:43

    Not too sure what their rate is but they do pay a lot better then they used to. If I am up there soon Ill try and remember to ask. Or you could email HR and ask them. If you like the mountains and skiing it would be something to do for a season.

  19. #19Tacodriver2008-10-15 22:16

    I was up there the other day plowing the road again and ran into the guy who runs the cat crew and asked him what the starting pay for a cat driver is. Hold onto your seat it's a whopping $13 an hour. He explained that they spend a lot of time training people and then they leave.

  20. #20Vantage_TeS2008-10-16 00:23

    You would think that they would start paying more so people WOULDN'T leave. Hell unless they were offering lodging that's not even worth the commute from Calgary =/ Already being a HE operator would probably get you a little more, especially if you run multiple machines that are relevant such as grader and dozer but I expect it wouldn't be that much more.

  21. #21Northart2008-10-20 02:28

    1st snow in Alaska Just got about a 1' in the last week. October 9-15th. Alaska State DOT plow truck, and some caribou, by Denali National Park.

  22. #22Bellboy2008-10-20 09:42

    Well, it certainly ain't that cold. Sometimes our winters have snow, but generally I freeze at around 16 degrees celcius, and some times it gets to 10, but generally its around 25 to 30 celcius. Then we cook at around 35 celcius, sometimes hitting 37 to 45.

  23. #23HeyUvaVT2008-10-20 14:35

    i love love love love love love snow...please send it all here!

  24. #24Grader4me2008-10-20 18:13

    Lol...I would love love love love love to send you all of ours over the winter if I just knew how :beatsme

  25. #25MKTEF2008-10-21 14:13

    Northart: Does that truck has a underhanged grading board? Or is it the front plow sticking out at the left? Plowtrucks here mounted such some years ago, graders just disapeared over the night. They are comming heavily back theese days.....

  26. #26Grader4me2008-10-21 15:02

    Looks like an underbody plow for sure. Almost appears that it has serrated blades on it as well. Looks like lines on the snow pack behind him.

  27. #27MKTEF2008-10-21 15:26

    Thoose are graders worst enemy, plowing firms can be convinsed that it will replace the graders. Then they don't calculate any $ for grader work... They will not! But in the meantime grader operaters will find something else to do and there will be no reqruits... Roads will have ice build up that the trucks dont manage to remove. ++ many other problems because that solution isn't as good as the grader. Here DOT has 5 years contracts, many graders and operators disappered in a lot of areas before DOT reacted and made new demands for the plowing contracts.

  28. #28Northart2008-10-21 17:18

    Truck Plow Hello MKTEF, The truck has a front plow, belly blade, and side wing. All 3 for differing snow conditions. Plus the sander loaded with sand.

  29. #29dayexco2008-10-21 17:44

    90% of my contracts are seasonal....i hope we don't get a flake here.

  30. #30Grader4me2008-10-21 18:14

    I hear ya..there was a time that I loved plowing it, playing in it, shoveling it, driving in it, so on..but now...I'm just tired of it...getting old I guess.. Yeah, they thought that way for awhile over here to..no comparison at all to a grader. We have a few underbody blades still kicking around but not many.