Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone Remember Carley Logging?

SamC ยท 2014-12-02 06:56

Hi All, In one of those strange and possibly divine moments of internet awesomeness I have stumbled across your forum. I don't know much about heavy machinery, but my dad and grandfather knew a bit, and I'm wondering if any of you might remember them? They were Stephen and Wesley (Chum) Carley, who ran Carley Logging in the 80s. I don't know a whole lot about them (they passed away when I was 2) but if anyone on here knew them or worked with them, I would love to hear. In the meantime I am REALLY enjoying all the pictures of the massive equipment that have been posted! I had miniature versions of many of them as childhood toys All the best to everyone, Sam

Replies28
  1. #1Vigilant2014-12-07 20:24

    I believe this is the thread that had some discussion of him, plus some photos. If you keep going through the posts on this string, I believe you will find what you're looking for. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Tight Line2014-12-23 10:28

    You can find some pictures of there operation on the thread Vancouver logging at its best under forestry equipment. My father worked for your grandfather and dad for many years as a foreman, a lot of the pictures that Camptramp posted are from my fathers collection. Carley Logging was a top notch outfit to work for in its day, i spent a lot time around there as child.

  3. #3camptramp2014-12-24 00:04

    Welcome to HEF SamC I posted John Walker's Carley Logging pictures on Vancouver Island Logging at its best on pages 76 to into the 80's , didn't know your father but worked for your Grand Father briefly in 1976 , one of the best outfits I ever worked for if not the best ! Wish I had more pictures to post of his outfit , I'm always looking .

  4. #4camptramp2014-12-24 00:12

    Welcome to HEF SamC I posted John Walker's Carley Logging pictures on Vancouver Island Logging at its best under forestry equipment thread on pages 76 to into the 80's , didn't know your father but worked for your Grand Father briefly in 1976 , one of the best outfits I ever worked for if not the best ! Wish I had more pictures to post of his outfit , I'm always looking .

  5. #5camptramp2014-12-24 19:47

    SamC as you have started a thread on " Carley Logging " and I already have the pictures on my computer , thanks to long time employee of Carley Logging John Walker I'll repost them here along with any more I can find . To say the loss of your Father and Grandfather was a tragedy would be an understatement . There were several successful logging contractors of the same era on lower Vancouver Island , Chum was probably the lest known and most successful. One of the things that I always got a laugh at way his choice of pickups , he always provided his Foreman and Key Employee's with new pickups regularly , then he would go through the pickups and find one he liked , then drive it . The last time I spoke with him , we were parked on the Gordon River Main Line with several BCFP off highway logging trucks in the clear waiting for an off highway lowbed carrying Carley Logging's brand new Cypruss 7280 Grapple Yarder . The year was about 1983 or 84 he was driving a mid 1970's Ford Crew cab that he had bought new for Wayne Stolth , when I kidded him about his foreman always driving new pickups , he replied " You've got to keep the Kids happy " I forget how many miles it had on it but he had replaced the engine at lest once . The pictures are of Carley Logging's Cypress 7280 parked for the night at BCF P's Gordon River Shop on Gordon River M/L.

  6. #6camptramp2014-12-24 19:57

    Carley Logging WFI Gordon R. Div. Madill 009 yarder on tracks and Skagit loader on rubber tire carrier . late 1960's or early 1970's

  7. #7camptramp2014-12-24 20:01

    Carley Logging WFI Div.

  8. #8camptramp2014-12-24 20:08

    Carley Logging WFI Div. here is a picture of the logging truck we think is in the above picture several years later in the Camper area . Pacific trucks the old and the new BCFP #6-284 was new in 1986 .

  9. #9camptramp2014-12-24 23:31

    Carley Logging WFI Div. Victoria Lowbed service D. " Butch " Taylor's Diamond "T" with an off highway lowbed for Carley Logging Long time Carley Logging employee Woods Foreman John Walker on left

  10. #10camptramp2014-12-24 23:38

    Carley logging WFI Div.

  11. #11camptramp2014-12-24 23:58

    Carley Logging WFI Div. Carley Logging's first grapple yarder a Washington TL15

  12. #12camptramp2014-12-25 00:01

    Carley Logging WFI Div. Carley Logging's first grapple yarder a Washington View attachment 128693 TL-15 at their Gordon River shop .

  13. #13camptramp2014-12-25 00:08

    Carley Logging WFI Div. Carley Logging's first Skagit grapple yarder purchased off M & B Shawnigan Div. View attachment 128697 View attachment 128698 View attachment 128699

  14. #14camptramp2014-12-25 00:12

    Carley Logging WFI Div. Carley Logging's first Skagit grapple yarder . View attachment 128700 View attachment 128701

  15. #15camptramp2014-12-25 00:17

    Carley Logging WFI Div.

  16. #16camptramp2014-12-30 00:26
  17. #17camptramp2015-01-05 00:42

    Carley Logging Victoria Shop ,off Selwyn Rd. Langford , not sure if these are new machine's or have been given a 5 gallon over haul . Chum Carly is standing behind 966 rubber tire front end loader .

  18. #18camptramp2015-01-05 00:47

    Carley Logging WFI Div. Skagit loader at Carley's Gordon River Yard .

  19. #19Shimmy12015-01-05 00:55

    Wonder how long it took someone to notice they put the stickers on the wrong sides??

  20. #20camptramp2015-01-05 01:00

    Carley Logging Camper Creek Div. A new American Loader being brought into mouth of North Arm of San Juan River on barge to be dropped off at BCFP's Renfrew Div. DLS .

  21. #21camptramp2015-01-05 18:49

    Carley Logging , Camper Cr. Div. 009 Madill 90 Ft. high lead Steel Tower and American Loader .

  22. #22camptramp2015-01-05 18:59

    Carley Logging

  23. #23camptramp2015-01-05 19:03

    Carley Logging , Camper Cr Div. , Skagit grapple yarder and American loader .

  24. #24camptramp2015-01-05 19:07

    Carley Logging Camper Cr.

  25. #25camptramp2015-01-05 19:10

    Carley Logging , Camper Cr. Div.

  26. #26camptramp2015-01-05 19:14

    Carley Logging Camper Cr. Div. American loader unloading trailer off one of View attachment 129161 View attachment 129162 View attachment 129163 hauling contractor Dale Arden's truck .

  27. #27camptramp2015-01-05 19:17

    Carley Logging Camper Cr. Div. View attachment 129164 View attachment 129165

  28. #28camptramp2015-01-19 23:30

    Gordy I. , Carley Logging , Sombrio Div. Caterpillar 245 Log Loader loading hauling contractor Dale Arden's IHC Paystar 5000 .