Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone remember the John Deere 890?

B.U.S.I. ยท 2009-07-13 20:56

In 1980 my dad's company bought a new JD 890 excavator. At an operating weight of 90000lbs, it was Deere's answer to the Cat 235. I remember running it as a kid. He had that machine until 1986. It had a lot of issues: - New motor under warranty - Travel motors didn't last long - Boom cylinder seals often blew - S-L-O-W But it did a few thing very well: - Tremendous lifting power - Could dig well in very hard ground - Very stable on slopes Anyone still have or run one of these old girls?? I have fond memories because this is the machine that I learned on. Any feedback would be great!

Replies5
  1. #1ZAXIS2009-07-13 23:42

    I have never run one--The only one I can recall seeing in person was at Harrison, Arkansas at a quarry. I tried to find a pic of one on the net, but this is all I could come up with--an 890A :beatsme

  2. #2B.U.S.I.2009-07-14 01:19

    Very close!! The 890-A came out a few years later. It was actually a slightly smaller machine as the 890 became the 990 at that same time.

  3. #3Wolf2009-07-14 01:52

    That sure is a big machine. Looks mighty powerful. Anyone ever use one for demolition? How did it perform?

  4. #4gasfield315c2009-07-14 05:39

    aint it crazy to think of how far equipment has come since then, that was a top of the line machine back then now you have grade control devices that use a GPS, electric dozers, all kinds of fancy stuff. But one thing about machines that old, they will lift or dig through anything, just not in a hurry

  5. #5mei85552009-07-14 15:38

    has anyone had a 1973 koehring 866d. i understand these were limited production models