I just bought a used NH L190 with 14X17.5 tires on it. I would like to run some steel tracks on it but in order to keep it where it will fit on my trailer, I will have to go to 12X16.5's. I am wondering what the clearance from the sidewall of the 12X16.5 tires to the chain box cover is. If it is 3" or more I will not have to buy spacers. It will fit on my trailer even if I have to use spacers but I would rather not use them if I can get away with it. If any of you are running a L190 with the 12X16.5 tires, would you mind measuring the clearance and letting me know? Thanks, Tim
I dont have a L190 but on my 465 CASE I run the 12X16.5's. When I run the tracks I flip the tires (this means pulling tire off flip in 180 and put on the opp side to get the tread direction going the right direction) and the additional offset gained gives me room for OTT. With the rims set for min. offset I dont have room for the tracks. Flipping the tires gives me plenty. Your NH maybe the same way with 12X16.5's.
Thanks KSSS, hadn't thought of that. Might work Tim
I got out yesterday afternoon and measured between the tire casings of my 14X17.5 and the chain case on my NH 190 and had 2.6" of clearance. I only need another .4" to get the 3" I need to run tracks without spacers. I guess I will go to my dealer and see if I can borrow a 12X16.5 tire and rim to mount up and measure. I will also be able to try mounting the wheel both ways to see if I gain any more clearance one way or another. Tim
I borrowed a 12X16.5 tire and rim from my dealer and mounted it on my skid in place of the 14X17.5 that was on it. The clearance between the casing and the chain case with the larger tires was 2.6". The clearance with the smaller tire was 4.3". Tracks plus says that you have to have at least 3" of clearance on order to run their tracks without spacers. So, I believe I am good to go without using spacers Tim
we did the same thing with our JD 328 and it worked. You will defently notice the ground clearence loss and the lower ground speed from the smaller tires. Also if your track are not in good shape keep an eye on where the bolts mount the wishbone to the pads. It seems like the machine will find every weak spot and just rip stuff apart.