Was wondering if anyone has tried to split large rounds using their mini excavator and their hydraulic breaker. I have seen a few people doing it on youtube. Will it damage the breaker? This would be to get it down into easier size pieces to use the 37 ton hydraulic log splitter.
As long as you aren't dry-firing it I can't see how it would hurt anything.
Sounds like a brilliant idea. Have a go and tell us if it works.
My 87 year old friend splits all his firewood with a 40,000 lb. backhoe. He built a wedge that fits his bucket teeth and has a two ft high heavy plate he had laying around stood vertical in front of the tracks. In straight pieces he will slide a few pieces into a row and split a few at once. There is not much it won't split. and it is fast compared to a hand splitter. I admit he is a super good operator still. He loads them into his dump truck with the hoe bucket and thumb when he gets a bunch of pieces scattered around.
I did talk to the Company that makes my breaker and he said as long as it wasn't dry-firing it may be ok. He Also suggested maybe trying an Asphalt cutter head. Any thoughts on that? Also, I have a Milwaukee Lithium SDX max with spade. Anyone try and split wood with that?