Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone taken the General Contractor’s Licencee exam?

digdeeper ยท 2007-09-04 18:39

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has taken the general contractors test for there licencese. I live in alabama but i figure all the test are kinda similar. How hard was it? By the way I figure all the books and fee's are going to scare a grand is that about what it actually cost? Any input would be helpful

Replies6
  1. #1osborneconst2007-09-04 20:11

    The test is not that bad. I only missed 6 or 8 questions on it. Just make sure that you know how to look things up in the books. Most of the questions are about stuff that is not used everyday.

  2. #2RT Engineering2007-09-04 23:23

    The test was not that tough. Getting the application approved was much tougher. I was stubborn, and filled out all the paper work myself. If I was to go through that again, I would probably do some research on-line, and have one of the license schools do the paperwork for me. Also be sure to get some sample exams. Most of the questions are used for years, if you read a few samples, you will probably preview most of your exam. RT

  3. #3digdeeper2007-09-05 18:59

    how much to renew the licencee each year?

  4. #4CM19952007-09-05 20:08

    Hey digdeeper. I have an Alabama Gencon License in the BC category. BC is building construction only limited to your bid amount. They have since added BC04 which limits you to 4 stories or less. I have had mine since '98, prior to any written testing - but it was a PITA. The tipical addage: got to have experience but can't get the experience without a license. Back then it took me almost a year of paperwork to get it. This should help http://www.genconbd.alabama.gov/Renewal_Info.htm The renewal is $200 per year. There is a fair amount paperwork for the application as well as renewals each year but your accountant can prepare 95% of it. The Board mostly wants financial information which pertains to your bid limit. Basically they want to know that you have the experience, ability, insurance, equipment and most importantly the money to not only perform but complete the projects within your bid limit and classification. You have to have at least $10k of net worth and I believe they use 10 times the net worth of the company to determine your bid limit. On the Ala Gencon website they also have a list of licenses classifications for the type of work you want to perform. Hope this helps.

  5. #5digdeeper2007-09-06 17:56

    Thanks guys for the input, I figured it was going to be a pile of paper work. I was going to go all out and get the general contractor licencee, but we only do dirt excavation. I wonder if it would be less paper in just getting an excavation licence? I was going to branch out a little and try to put a little more green in my pocket by being able to sub the other work out.

  6. #6CM19952007-09-07 10:02

    I believe they have just an excavation classification - check the website. Also any project under $50k and not a swimming pool I believe you do not have to have a GC license.