Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone use a CTL with a Box Grader?

cjohnsen · 2022-11-29 19:08

I like down a 1/2 mile dirt road. The town grades it every few months if I’m lucky. For the past few years I’ve borrowed our Cat IT28 from work and grab the 4-in-1 bucket, open it up and back blade down the road to fill in the holes and smooth the road out. Takes about an hour and a half which isn’t bad but to use float control I have to keep the stick held forward. Which is less than ideal for an hour and a half. I’ve got a Cat 239D and I was thinking about getting a box blade for it to grade the road. It’s a ~7500lb machine at 67hp. I’ve seen a YouTube video of a 289D (~10500 78hp) with a Domor box blade and it looked like it did a great job. It would bog down a bit at a big bite but overall seemed like no issue. Will the 239 handle a 6’ box blade? I’m worried I may not have enough power to push the dirt and traction to keep moving. Anyone ever used one on a smaller CTL? The road is all hardener with potholes a few inches deep and a foot or 2 in diameter. The road isn’t crowned it’s pitched to one side.

Replies10
  1. #1Steve Frazier2022-11-29 21:55

    I've used my Harley rake on my skid steer to grade driveways in poor condition. There are wings on it that makes it similar to a box scraper. It would be ideal for your application as the drum can loosen the packed material to help with spreading. It will be more expensive than the straight scraper but once you get proficient on it I bet you could do your job in less than an hour. Might be able to pick up a used one at a reasonable price.

  2. #2eludemann2022-11-30 07:50

    Another option is a driveway grader. Like a box grader without the back, has 2 blades that lift and move the stone. I have one for my tractor, 3 point, but they make them with skid loader plates too.

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-11-30 16:27

    A land plane?

  4. #4eludemann2022-11-30 16:33

    I have this one, they also make them with skid loader attachment on the back

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-11-30 16:39

    That is a land plane.

  6. #6Simon C2022-12-05 22:12

    I have a Virnig 84 Inch Land Leveller. Use it to maintain about 800 meters of roadways, plus many large parking lots. It does a very good job and I run it on the front of a John Deere 332G rubber tired skidsteer. I also use it in the winter time to flatten any snow that got packed hard like ice by trucks in humps all over the yard from wind drifts in between snow cleanings. It makes the yards nice and smooth for using the snow removal equipment later. Have over 100 hours on the cutting edges so far and will probably last 50 more hours. Low cost per hour for cutting edges. Comes with 5/8 thick cutting edges. Will be replacing with 3/4 thick edges. Simon C

  7. #7Welder Dave2022-12-05 23:43

    Virnig looks to make high quality attachments. Can you post some pics. of it?

  8. #8Simon C2022-12-06 17:40

    Here are some pictures of my Virnig Land Leveller in action. Have done a lot of jobs with it in first year of action. Takes some time to get use to. Once familiar very hard to beat. Simon

  9. #9Simon C2022-12-06 17:54

    This round pen picture had 3 inches of pure turf in it and I turned it back into a riding arena without having to take panels that are stuck in the ground out. It does a very good job on parking lots or roads. The ripper teeth are a little difficult to change but work well in there intended purpose. We have a clay mix 3/4 crush road that is hard as rock and was able to take a couple humps out at 1/8 of an inch per pass. Still faster than any other thing we tried. Sometimes there is about 1.5 wheelbarrows of loose dirt in the middle of it that you learn to spread out before the end of a long push or reverse drag. Been using in minus 20C to take out frozen humps of snow /dirt that fell off of trucks mud flaps onto the parking lots and froze hard enough to trip the spring on our angle blade. Charge $25 per hour for its use to owner when using without rippers that are up unless I retract cylinder. Any Questions Fire Away. Simon C

  10. #10Welder Dave2022-12-06 20:03

    I looked at those type of levellers and I think they are a great implement. I wish they made something similar that goes on a 3pt. hitch.