im posting here because it happens in "the shop" im a first year apprentice in the heavy plant mechanic trade now from a few guys i know in various trades say it may be a good idea to do some time as an apprentice in one "shop" and after say 2 years move "shop" to get a larger training group to learn different skills or way to go about the same task and as we all no every shop is completely different so would need a different skillset to operate from the different shop so who says its a good idea and who says its not so good
does anybody have an opinion on this or is this a case of the old forum stereo type of if its a joke or about how good cat, kenworth or john deere is the entire world will comment but if it is a serious question or about the back benching achiever nobody even knew it existed
I did my whole apprenticeship at one place. When I received my TQ I left with the blessings of the Master Mechanic. His advice was to go out and see the world, see how the "other" guys do it then come back. Good advice.
In my opinion, it depends on how well you like your job and the people you work with. Do not be in a hurry to quit one job for another simply for the "experience". trust me, you will get all of that you need. If you like where youre at and everything else, hang out a while and enjoy it. You have the rest of youre life to get experience and, not to mention, work with a$$holes!! good luck!
yeah i see your point im in no hurry to leave because in this economic period thank god i have my apprenticeship so many of my mates would kill to be in my position but just cant get a start i just want to be the best tradesman i can be
Yes,get all the experience you can. I've spent nearly 26 years doing onsite machining on some of the biggest gear around but I'm not sure yet what I will do when I grow up Don't forget these days communication skills are as important as using a spanner so consider improving your grammar as well
Just enjoy your first years training, you will have up and downs along the way. When I look back they were the best of days I remember. Fair enough I did 4 years in college and made some life friends along the way.